Fan Phenomena: The Lord of the Rings
|Fan Phenomena: The Lord of the Rings|
Fan Phenomena: The Lord of the Rings is a 2015 book edited by Lorna Piatti-Farnell examining fan responses to the The Lord of the Rings film series.
 From the publisher
Few if any books come close to being as beloved—or as ubiquitous—as J. R. R. Tolkien’s The Lord of the Rings trilogy. Best-sellers for decades, they became even more popular on the heels of Peter Jackson’s Oscar-winning film adaptations. And throughout, fans have not only read the books, they’ve engaged with them, building one of the most active and creative fan communities in the world.
This entry in the Fan Phenomena series offers the best look we’ve had yet at the fan culture surrounding The Lord of the Rings. Academically informed, but written for the general reader, the book delves into such topics as the philosophy of the series and its fans, the distinctions between the films’ fans and the books’ fans, the process of adaptation, the role of New Zealand in the translation of words to images (and the resulting Lord of the Rings tourism), and much, much more. Lavishly illustrated, it is guaranteed to appeal to anyone who has ever closed the last page of The Return of the King and wished the journey didn't have to end.
- "Making Fantasy Matter: The Lord of the Rings and the Legitimization of Fantasy Cinema"
- "The Lord of the Rings: One Digital Fandom to Initiate Them All"
- "Reforging the Rings: Fan Edits and The Cinematic Middle-earth"
- "Walking Between Two Lands, or How Double Canon Works in the Lord of the Rings Fan Films"
- By: Miguel Ángel Pérez-Gómez
- "One Party Business: True-fan Celebrations in New Zealand’s Middle-earth"
- "Fan Appreciation - Shaun Gunner"
- "There, Here and Back Again: The Search for Middle-earth in Birmingham"
- "Looking for Lothiriel: The Presence of Women in Tolkien Fandom"
- By: Cait Coker and Karen Viars
- "Lord of the Franchise: The Lord of the Rings, IP Rights and Policing Appropriation"
- "Writing the Star: The Lord of the Rings and the Production of Star Narratives"
- "Understanding Fans’ ‘Precious’: The Impact of the Lord of the Rings Films on the Hobbit Movies"
 External links