|Previous war: None|
|Next war: War for Sake of the Elves|
|First War with Melkor|
|Beginning: VY 1||End: VY 1499|
|Place: All of Arda|
|Outcome: Victory for the Valar, Formation of Arda|
|Major battles: Many and various|
|Valar and Maiar||Melkor and Maiar|
 The War
While the Valar formed Arda, Melkor undid or marred whatever they made, demolishing mountains they created, raising up their valleys and spilling their seas, ever hindering their plans. The works of Aulë suffered most, who grew weary repairing the damage and tumults by Melkor and Arda was marred.
Melkor prevailed for ages and news of the War reached far heaven where Tulkas was and in VY 1499 he descended to Arda. Melkor could not challenge him and he fled before his anger and laughter beyond the Walls of Night.
The result of the War was that Arda's completion was hindered and its plan was altered.
There was peace for a long time and thenceforth Tulkas was counted among the Valar. Tulkas and Aulë labored much to restore Arda and extinguish the fires.
Aulë created the Two Lamps for the illumination of all Arda and the vegetation of Yavanna, who planted her seeds that sprouted. The earth was filled with plants from mosses to large trees in the Spring of Arda.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 J.R.R. Tolkien, Christopher Tolkien (ed.), The Silmarillion, "Ainulindalë: The Music of the Ainur"
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 J.R.R. Tolkien, Christopher Tolkien (ed.), The Silmarillion, "Valaquenta: Of the Valar"
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, Christopher Tolkien (ed.), The Silmarillion, "Valaquenta: Of the Maiar"
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, Christopher Tolkien (ed.), The Silmarillion, "Valaquenta: Of the Enemies"
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 J.R.R. Tolkien, Christopher Tolkien (ed.), The Silmarillion, "Quenta Silmarillion: Of the Beginning of Days"