This article or section needs expansion and/or modification. Please help the wiki by expanding it.
|"Helm's Deep" by Jeremy Bennett|
|Location||Helm's Deep, Rohan|
|People and History|
|Events||Battle of the Hornburg|
|Gallery||Images of the Hornburg|
The Hornburg (originally Aglarond and then Súthburg) was a great Gondorian fortress later used by the Rohirrim.
In later years whole regions of Gondor, such as Calenardhon, were depopulated or evacuated. After being repaired with help of masons of Gondor, it came into the possession of Rohan and the master of Westfold dwelt there. The Rohirrim called the fortress Súthburg. This name was probably used due to it being the southern of the fortresses that guarded the Gap of Rohan and the Fords of Isen, Isengard being the other.
During the Dunlendings' occupation and Wulf's usurpation, Helm Hammerhand sought refuge there during the Long Winter in T.A. 2759. It was renamed Hornburg after the days of King Helm, because a horn sounded from its tower could be heard in the whole Deep.
 Portrayal in adaptations
2013: The Lord of the Rings Online:
- Hornburg was added with the Helm's Deep expansion in 2013. The "main" version is set chronologically shortly before the Battle of the Hornburg, but players also have access to a different-looking version set in the aftermath of the battle.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings, The Two Towers, "Helm's Deep"
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, Christopher Tolkien (ed.), Unfinished Tales, "The Battles of the Fords of Isen", "Appendix (ii)", last sentence of the first paragraph of the long note
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings, The Two Towers, "The Palantír", "That way lies Aglarond and the Glittering caves."
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 J.R.R. Tolkien, Christopher Tolkien (ed.), Unfinished Tales, "The Battles of the Fords of Isen", "Appendix (ii)", footnote after "committed to the Rohirrim" in the third paragraph of the long note