John D. Rateliff
|John D. Rateliff|
|Education||Ph.D. at Marquette University|
John D. Rateliff (b. 1958) is a J.R.R. Tolkien scholar, who became well-known when publishing The History of The Hobbit in 2007. He received his Ph.D from the Marquette University with a dissertation on Lord Dunsany. He lives in the Seattle area and works as a professional editor.
- 1993: Tolkien Portraiture (as assistant)
- 2002: The Lord of the Rings Roleplaying Game - Core Book (contributor)
- 2007: The History of The Hobbit
- 2011: The History of The Hobbit: One-volume Edition
- 2014: Tolkien in the New Century: Essays in Honor of Tom Shippey (co-editor)
- 2015: A Brief History of The Hobbit
- 1980: Amon Hen 46
- 1981: Amon Hen 49
- "Who was Gothmog?"
- 1981: Amon Hen 50
- "Pipping Patch Answers"
- 1981: Mythlore 8
- "She and Tolkien"
- 1986: Mythlore 45
- "'And Something Yet Remains to Be Said': Tolkien and Williams"
- 1988: Mallorn 25
- "Gríma the Wormtongue: Tolkien and His Sources"
- 1991: Leaves from the Tree
- "Early Versions of Farmer Giles of Ham"
- 1993: Mallorn 30
- "The Hobbit and Tolkien's Other Pre-war Writings" (with Christina Scull)
- 2000: Tolkien's Legendarium
- "The Lost Road, The Dark Tower, and The Notion Club Papers: Tolkien and Lewis's Time Travel Triad"
- 2006: The Lord of the Rings 1954-2004
- "'And All the Days of Her Life Are Forgotten': The Lord of the Rings as Mythic Prehistory"
- 2010: Mallorn 49
- "How do we know what we know?" (guest editorial)
- 2011: VII: An Anglo-American Literary Review, Vol.27
- "Woodland Prisoner" - by Clyde S. Kilby with introduction and annotations by John D. Rateliff
- 2011: Picturing Tolkien: Essays on Peter Jackson's The Lord of the Rings Film Trilogy
- "Two Kinds of Absence: Elision and Exclusion in Peter Jackson's The Lord of the Rings"
- 2011: Tolkien and the Study of His Sources
- "She and Tolkien, Revisited"
- 2012: L'Arc et le Heaume: Tolkien 1892-2012 (July 2012)
- "Un Fragment, détaché: Bilbo le Hobbit et le Silmarillion" (English version: "A Fragment, Detached: The Hobbit and The Silmarillion")
- 2014: Tolkien in the New Century: Essays in Honor of Tom Shippey
- "Inside Literature: Tolkien's Explorations of Medieval Genres"
- 2015: Perilous and Fair: Women in J.R.R. Tolkien's Work and Life
- "The Missing Women: J.R.R. Tolkien's Lifelong Support for Women's Higher Education"
- 2009 - Mythopoeic Award, Mythopoeic Scholarship Award for Inkling Studies, The History of The Hobbit Part I: Mr. Baggins
 See also
- Sacnoth's Scriptorium (official website)
- An Interview with John Rateliff at Middle-earth.Xenite.Org
- A Talk With John D. Rateliff
- Middle Earth meets Marquette: Tolkien historian lectures on campus
- Interview with John Rateliff