Phial of Galadriel
- "...and slowly the ship slipped away down the long grey firth; and the light of the glass of Galadriel that Frodo bore glimmered and was lost."
- ― The Return of the King, The Grey Havens
As Frodo, Sam and Gollum approached the Stairs of Cirith Ungol, Frodo saw a great mass of cavalrymen led by the Lord of the Nazgûl. When the Witch-king stopped, Frodo feared they had been spotted; against his will, Frodo moves his hand towards the ring. Instead, he touched the Phial - which he had forgotten - and the Witch-king continued on his way.
Both Frodo and Samwise Gamgee used the phial to fend off the attacks of Shelob, and escape her lair on the borders of Mordor. Sam later used it to overcome the will of the Two Watchers at the Tower of Cirith Ungol. Sam also attempted to use the light in the Crack of Doom but the light from the glass faded because they were in the heart of Sauron's domain.
When Gollum led Frodo and Sam into Shelob's Lair, Frodo exclaimed in Quenya, "Aiya Eärendil Elenion Ancalima!"; this translates as "Hail Eärendil, brightest of stars!". This is in reference to the light of the star of Eärendil, the Silmaril he wore upon his brow, the brightest star in the sky. It was the light of this star which is trapped within the Star-glass.
|Gifts of Galadriel|
|Andúril's sheath||Elfstone||Boromir's belt|
|Merry and Pippin's belts||Sam's garden box||Hair of Galadriel|
|Bow of the Galadhrim||Phial of Galadriel|
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings, The Fellowship of the Ring, "Farewell to Lórien"
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings, The Two Towers, "The Stairs of Cirith Ungol"
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings, The Two Towers, "Shelob's Lair"
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings, The Return of the King, "The Tower of Cirith Ungol"
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings, The Return of the King, "Mount Doom"
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, Christopher Tolkien (ed.), The Silmarillion, "Quenta Silmarillion: Of the Voyage of Eärendil and the War of Wrath"
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings, The Return of the King, "The Grey Havens"