The Hobbits of Bree claimed to be the first to have smoked the Pipe-weed, but the first who cultivated it was Tobold Hornblower of Longbottom of the Shire, around the year S.R. 1070. Smoking had spread from the Hobbits to Dwarves, Rangers, and Wizards.
- "I am in fact a Hobbit (in all but size). [...] I smoke a pipe..."
- ― Letter 213
People who had met Tolkien noticed that a pipe was almost always in his hand or mouth, often making difficult to understand his speech. In a 1966 interview, Tolkien said: "Every morning I wake up thinking, 'Good, another 24 hours of smoking'".
 Portrayal in adaptations
1995-8: Middle-earth Collectible Card Game:
- The card "Smoke Rings" enables the player to re-use one of his discarded characters.
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings, The Return of the King, "The Houses of Healing"
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings, "Prologue", "Concerning Pipe-weed"
- ↑ Humphrey Carpenter, J.R.R. Tolkien: A Biography
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien Talks about the Discovery of Middle-earth, the Origins of Elvish by Richard Plotz, in Seventeen
- ↑ Charlotte and Denis Plimmer, "The Man Who Understands Hobbits", The Daily Telegraph Magazine (22 March 1968)
- ↑ "Smoke Rings", TradeCardsOnline.com (accessed 26 June 2012)