The first true Pipe-weed was cultivated around the year S.R. 1070 by Tobold Hornblower of Longbottom, although the Hobbits of Bree claimed to be the first to have smoked the herb. Smoking had spread from the Hobbits to Dwarves, Rangers, and Wizards.
- "I am in fact a Hobbit (in all but size). [...] I smoke a pipe..."
- ― Letter 213
People who had met Tolkien noticed that a pipe was almost always in his hand or mouth, often making difficult to understand his speech. In a 1966 interview, Tolkien said: "Every morning I wake up thinking, 'Good, another 24 hours of smoking'".
 Portrayal in adaptations
1995-8: Middle-earth Collectible Card Game:
- The card "Smoke Rings" enables the player to re-use one of his discarded characters.
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings, "Prologue", "Concerning Pipe-weed"
- ↑ Humphrey Carpenter, J.R.R. Tolkien: A Biography
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien Talks about the Discovery of Middle-earth, the Origins of Elvish by Richard Plotz, in Seventeen
- ↑ Charlotte and Denis Plimmer, "The Man Who Understands Hobbits", The Daily Telegraph Magazine (22 March 1968)
- ↑ "Smoke Rings" , TradeCardsOnline.com (accessed 26 June 2012)