Since the potatoes are a New World plant (see below), it has been suggested that "potatoes" is perhaps a "translation" from a Westron name of a related but otherwise unrecorded plant of Third Age Middle-earth.
Fans have noticed that potatoes are a New World plant, not native to the Old World setting of Middle-earth. The pipe-weed (another New World plant) is referenced as having being brought from Númenor and fans have explored the possibility that this was also the case with potatoes..
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings, The Fellowship of the Ring, "A Long-expected Party"
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings, The Two Towers, "Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit"
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Mark Fisher, "Potatoes", Encyclopedia of Arda (accessed 20 July 2018)
- ↑ Forum discussion at LOTRplaza
- ↑ Forum discussion at the TolkienForum
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien; Douglas A. Anderson, (ed.), (2002) The Annotated Hobbit: Revised and Expanded Edition