The Return of the Ring
|The Return of the Ring|
|Location||Loughborough University, England|
|Organizer||The Tolkien Society|
|Dates||16-20 August, 2012|
The Return of the Ring: Celebrating Tolkien in 2012 was a convention hosted by The Tolkien Society. It was held at Loughborough University, England, 16-20 August, 2012. The convention marked the seventy-fifth anniversary of the publication of The Hobbit.
- Academic streams (two or three in lecture theatres): lectures, panels, visual presentations, etc.
- Creative stream: hand-on doing things, workshops and the like.
- Fandom stream: anything that is inspired through fandom.
- Dealers’ Room: there is a good sized room for the dealers on the ground floor with space for signings.
- Art Show: we have a nice light, airy room to display art to good advantage.
- Bar and hospitality facilities: a large bar in a central area on the ground floor and a caffeteria [sic] on the first floor.
- Child-friendly activities for younger people with their parents (we won’t be providing child minding or a crèche)
- Tours: we're planning to repeat the popular coach trips to Birmingham and Oxford, and possibly elsewhere too.
 Special guests
- Mark Atherton, Academic and lecturer
- Martin Barker, Author and researcher
- Ben Barootes, Researcher and lecturer
- Bob Blackham, Author of The Roots of Tolkien's Middle-earth
- Cor Blok, Tolkien artist
- Chris Bouchard, Director and producer of The Hunt for Gollum
- Janet Croft, Author and editor of Mythlore
- Jenny Dolfen, Tolkien artist
- Maike Dulk, Tolkien artist
- Colin Duriez, Author and Inklings scholar
- Anke Eißmann, Tolkien artist
- Tor Fauskanger, Tolkien artist
- Dimitra Fimi, Author and lecturer in myth and folklore
- Verlyn Flieger, Academic and author
- John Garth, Author, Tolkien and the Great War
- Peter Gilliver, Lexicographer and author
- Ronald Hutton, History professor and author
- Jay Johnstone, Tolkien artist
- Peter Kenny, Collector and expert
- Ruth Lacon, Tolkien artist
- Chloë Lees, Performer and storyteller
- Kate Madison, Director, producer and actor of Born of Hope
- Nancy Martsch, Editor of Beyond Bree
- Cole Matso, Lead actor in the Fellows Hips: Rise of the Gamers
- Ted Nasmith, Tolkien artist
- Corey Olsen, Podcaster and professor
- Charlie Ross, One Man Lord of the Rings performer
- Tom Shippey, Tolkien polemic. Author, The Road to Middle-earth
- Brian Sibley, Author and screenwriter
- Michael Tolkien, Poet and author. Grandson of J.R.R. Tolkien
- Constance Wagner, Author
- Mark Walker, Latin translator of The Hobbit
- Sue Wookey, Tolkien artist
- Cindy Zudys, Storyteller and teacher
 Video from Peter Jackson, Alan Lee, and John Howe
In addition to donating two items for the auction (A The Lord of the Rings (extended edition) Blu-ray boxset and a ComicCon 2012 The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey poster, both signed by Jackson), Peter Jackson, Alan Lee, and John Howe sent their greetings and best wishes to the Return of the Ring. The video was played at the opening ceremony to the event.