Third Age 2951
Notable events in this year include:
- Sauron declares himself openly and gathers power in Mordor. He begins the rebuilding of Barad-dûr.
- The remaining Gondorians of Ithilien start to flee.
- Gollum turns towards Mordor.
- Sauron sends Khamûl and other two of the Nazgûl to reoccupy Dol Guldur.
- Birth of Heribald Bolger, second child and second son of Wilibald Bolger and Prisca Baggins.
As of 2015, the published version of The Lord of the Rings includes entries for the year 2951 that: Elrond reveals to Aragorn his true name and ancestry; Aragorn meets Arwen in Rivendell; and Aragorn goes into the Wild. Following research by Wayne G. Hammond and Christina Scull, Christopher Tolkien agrees that this is in error and the correct year for these entries should be T.A. 2952. Tolkien Gateway reflects this.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings, Appendix B, "The Third Age"
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings, Appendix A, "The Númenorean Kings", "Gondor and the Heirs of Anárion", "The Stewards"
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, Christopher Tolkien (ed.), Unfinished Tales, "The Hunt for the Ring", note 1, p. 352
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings, Appendix C, "Bolger of Budgeford"
- ↑ Wayne G. Hammond and Christina Scull, "Tolkien Notes 13" dated 25 December 2015, Hammond&Scull.com (accessed 7 January 2016)