Third Age 3017
Notable events in this year include:
- Gandalf visits Minas Tirith and reads the scroll of Isildur. He then leaves for the Shire.
- On his way northwards, Gandalf gets word from Lothlórien that Aragorn passed by with captured Gollum, and changes his course to meet him.
- 21 - Aragorn brings Gollum to Thranduil in Mirkwood.
- 23 - Gandalf comes to Thranduil and questions Gollum.
- 29 - Gandalf leaves Mirkwod and resumes his course west for Hobbiton.
- Birth of Alphros, son of Elphir, Prince of Dol Amroth.
- Éomer becomes Third Marshal of the Riddermark.
 Other versions of the legendarium
The dates concerning Gollum are taken from The Hunt for the Ring in the Unfinished Tales, where those events are said to take place a year later, in 3018; however the published The Tale of Years (Appendix B) places the capture in the year 3017. According to Hammond and Scull, Tolkien changed the date because he probably thought that more time was needed between the capture of Gollum and the arrival of Gandalf in Hobbiton (12 April, 3018). This article reflects this, but uses the exact dates from The Hunt for the Ring.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings, Appendix B, "The Third Age"
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 J.R.R. Tolkien, Christopher Tolkien (ed.), Unfinished Tales, "The Hunt for the Ring"
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings, The Fellowship of the Ring, "The Council of Elrond"
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, Christopher Tolkien (ed.), The Peoples of Middle-earth, "The Heirs of Elendil", The Line of Dol Amroth, p. 221
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings, Appendix A, "The House of Eorl", "The Kings of the Mark", Third Line
- ↑ Wayne G. Hammond and Christina Scull (eds), The Lord of the Rings: A Reader's Companion, pp. 717-718