Tolkien Gateway talk:Meetings/3 October 2010
Please put any ideas for the agenda and any general discussion here. Remember please sign your name below if you are going to attend (or not).
- -- 15:06, 6 September 2010 (UTC)
- --Mith (Talk/Contribs/Edits) 17:53, 28 September 2010 (UTC)
- --Morgan 18:28, 28 September 2010 (UTC)
- --Eldarion Telcontar 16:24, 29 September 2010 (UTC)
- --Ederchil (Talk/Contribs/Edits) 18:03, 29 September 2010 (UTC)
- --Hyarion 16:16, 3 October 2010 (UTC)
 Ideas for Agenda
- Update on server issues, extensions etc.
- New policy on Featured articles and Featured quotes
- Should we kill Featured Gatekeepers?
- Discuss the future of TG: should we move the database and images to a new server? Implications? New name? What does Hyarion (and other editors) think about this? --Morgan 21:28, 28 September 2010 (UTC)
- Fully support. -- 21:25, 28 September 2010 (UTC)
- Any update on the anti-spam measures and when we can get rid of the database lock? -- Ederchil (Talk/Contribs/Edits) 20:04, 29 September 2010 (UTC)
- Apologies for being unable to attend last night, some real-life event cropped up. About, FA, FG, and FQ:
- Featured Gatekeepers: I wanted to put this on hold until such a time as we a) have enough editors so we all don't just share the recognition between us and b) actually want to nominate someone. I see from the transcript that you reached the same conclusion.
- Featured Articles: I don't think we should just recycle articles and vote on them up to 12 months in advance. In 12 months an article could become hideously out-of-date, and recycling articles makes it seem as if we have very few articles worthy of the accolade: we should be encouraging editors to make their articles good enough to be featured. I think, therefore, we continue with the current system of nominations (although with more rigorous rules), to be changed monthly; however, I think, should an article not have the requisite votes, sysops should be allowed the change the homepage.
- Featured Quotes: I was thinking much the same lines as above, but also thinking they could be done weekly. --Mith (Talk/Contribs/Edits) 12:35, 4 October 2010 (UTC)
- My apologies too - I was in Sweden without access to the ’net over that weekend. I knew the meeting was planned, but I had not seen any meeting page go up, so I hadn’t got round to registering my absence before leaving for Sweden.
I have read the transcript and agree with what was decided, but agree with what Mith said above about Featured Articles. Hope I can make next meeting. — Mithrennaith 14:37, 9 October 2010 (UTC)