Welcome to Mith's talk page.
 Hans-Ulrich Möhring
Hey Mith! I saw, that you deleted the article about the German translator Hans-Ulrich Möhring (The Legend of Sigurd and Gudrún) with the comment "Just not notable enough". Möhring was now responsible for the German translation of another posthum released work. The Fall of Arthur will be published under the title König Arthurs Untergang on 21 March, 2015 in Germany, translated by Hans-Ulrich Möhring. I think, that two translations of complex lyrics by J.R.R. Tolkien are enough to legitimate the existence of an article about him. What do you think? --Sigismond 09:08, 7 January 2015 (UTC)
- For me, no (although others might take a different view). We have a painful habit on TG of creating articles about individuals which are essentially one line: "X is a Y who worked on Z." Is there anything (verifiable) to say about Möhring as translator of Sigurd and Gudrún and The Fall of Arthur beyond the fact that he translated them? --Mith (Talk/Contribs/Edits) 09:14, 7 January 2015 (UTC)
- I see what you mean. To write something about his translation work on The Legend of Sigurd and Gudrún (in my opinion) would make no sense in an English Wiki, so the only mentionable point would be the fact, that Möhring corresponded with Tom Shippey while translating. If you think, that the article is of no importance for Tolkien Gateway, then it's ok. I just wanted to know the reasons. --Sigismond 09:32, 7 January 2015 (UTC)
 Page merging question
Hey Mith, I went ahead and tackled merging Sea-elves into Teleri. I wasn't sure if my method of merging the pages was right: I copied the wiki-edit text to the other page and edited it some, then marked the original page for deletion. I changed the links that lead to Sea-elves to Falmari or Teleri where needed. I wasn't sure if this was good or if I needed to do anything else/something different. xsys 19:39, 23 January 2015 (UTC)
- Hi xsys, and welcome to Tolkien Gateway! To merge a page we transfer the appropriate content and turn the page into a redirect (i.e. we don't mark it for deletion) - the reason for this is so people who search for "Sea-elves" will be taken to the Teleri page, for example. --Mith (Talk/Contribs/Edits) 20:30, 23 January 2015 (UTC)
- That makes sense. Thanks! xsys 20:33, 23 January 2015 (UTC)
Good evening. This is User184.108.40.206. Could you upload upload more images on the page The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies;I dont have this ability, but you do have this ability. Upload and put these NEW images on the Category:Images from The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies.OK; —Unsigned comment by 220.127.116.11 (talk).
- Thanks for getting in touch. Remembering that the DVD of The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies isn't out yet (and therefore screencaps aren't so easy to obtain), do you have any particular images in mind? Or, perhaps you could sign up to Tolkien Gateway and upload them yourself? --Mith (Talk/Contribs/Edits) 11:02, 16 March 2015 (UTC)
Hi Mith, I wonder if you could please check your email? I've sent you a request a week ago :) Leopold Break 10:06, 11 May 2015 (UTC)
- I have received the email but I passed it onto User:Hyarion to respond. --Mith (Talk/Contribs/Edits) 12:46, 11 May 2015 (UTC)
- Thanks a lot. Anyway, I hope that he could reply to us soon, since, as it seems, he does not appear frequently. So here I put this forward again, mean not in the slightest to bother you. We are eager to make contact with Alan Lee, so I would be appreciated if you could give me the email address of him. Leopold Break 16:44, 11 May 2015 (UTC)
- I must apologize for my rudeness and discourtesy. Leopold Break 23:21, 11 May 2015 (UTC)
 Quick Question
- I don't understand what you mean. Create a separate page on a page you are creating? --Mith (Talk/Contribs/Edits) 21:15, 12 May 2015 (UTC)
May I ask why have you deleted the infobox? Woolly Mammoth 09:49, 15 May 2015 (UTC)
- You're going to need to be more specific: what infobox have I deleted? --Mith (Talk/Contribs/Edits) 12:15, 15 May 2015 (UTC)
- My mistake. I have just realized you reverted the edits to the period where there was no infobox. Woolly Mammoth 13:43, 15 May 2015 (UTC)
- If you're going to insist on making three, four, five, six - and one occasion, nine! - consecutive edits, things like this will happen. Apologies for reverting the infobox as well but please can you try to learn to use the "Show preview" button and plan you edits. Nine small edits to an article are not necessary. --Mith (Talk/Contribs/Edits) 13:59, 15 May 2015 (UTC)
- I know how to use the "Show preview" very well...But like I said, it often happens that I forget to include something in an article and have to edit it again. Woolly Mammoth 14:44, 15 May 2015 (UTC)
- Maybe "forget" is a wrong word (although not completely). "Change my mind" would be a more appropriate word. Besides, you are editing for years and I, myself, only for a couple of days. Woolly Mammoth 15:12, 15 May 2015 (UTC)
 Copyright for images
Please, how can I get the copyright for an image that I want to upload, but that isn't already in the "Category:Evidence of permission granted by copyright holders" section? Woolly Mammoth 14:44, 15 May 2015 (UTC)
- You will need to contact the copyright-holder and ask for their permission. --Mith (Talk/Contribs/Edits) 14:50, 15 May 2015 (UTC)
- By e-mail solely? Because I have already contacted a number of artists and they all gave permission. Technicality is my main issue in this matter. Woolly Mammoth 15:12, 15 May 2015 (UTC)
- Here's one: http://www.deviantart.com/messages/notes/#1_0/1281622023 Woolly Mammoth 18:57, 15 May 2015 (UTC)
 Obituary title
Henry Bradley: 3 Dec., 1845-23 May, 1923 is the official title of the obituary published in Bulletin of the Modern Humanities Research Association 20 . All references I consulted used this title.So I think the article it should remain with that name. —Unsigned comment by Sigurd (talk • contribs).
- Absolutely not. Aside from the fact I don't think we need an article for an obituary written for someone on whom we have a very short article (we'd end up with a longer article on the obituary than on the man himself!), naming the article "Henry Bradley: 3 Dec., 1845-23 May, 1923" would be ridiculous verbose and unwieldy. If an article must be made it should be something like "Obituary for Henry Bradley", but I would be against its creation. --Mith (Talk/Contribs/Edits) 18:31, 1 June 2015 (UTC)
- I dont think ridiculous since Tolkien himself give the name to the article. Someone put the same name in reference of that Bulletin 1923 here:[Index:Writings_by_J.R.R._Tolkien].And other books I read use the same name.In addition, the obituary contains a poem written by Tolkien in Old English. And also this obituary has his own topic on J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: Scholarship and Critical Assessment(Sigurd 21:24, 1 June 2015 (UTC))
- Did Tolkien give the title, or was that the editor? In any case, it is a title of a printed obituary, not an online webpage. Any article title we choose would also be the URL. We aren't the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia and our usage should not - and does not - reflect what they have done. --Mith (Talk/Contribs/Edits) 08:02, 2 June 2015 (UTC)
Can you please rename the pictures of Ninni-V to Antonio Vinci. By the request of the artist. Woolly Mammoth 14:00, 2 June 2015 (UTC)
- Can you please email me where the artists have granted their permission for their work to be hosted on Tolkien Gateway? --Mith (Talk/Contribs/Edits) 14:06, 2 June 2015 (UTC)
- I have asked the permission via note on DeviantArt. What would you like me to do? You cannot access the notes considering they are private and cannot be read unless one is logged in. So....??? Woolly Mammoth 14:34, 2 June 2015 (UTC)
Also, as a bit of housekeeping, can you forward to me either a copy of the emails from the artists or a screenprint so we have a bit of a proof - my email is mithtolkiengateway.net. Cheers --Mith (Talk/Contribs/Edits) 14:51, 1 June 2015 (UTC)
Yes, I will. But just one reminder: all the images by VunastiMamut are mine. Woolly Mammoth 14:56, 1 June 2015 (UTC)
—User talk:Woolly Mammoth
- I have send you an email with a screen print for the said artist. Woolly Mammoth 15:23, 2 June 2015 (UTC)
- I will. Woolly Mammoth 15:26, 2 June 2015 (UTC)
- I have. Woolly Mammoth 16:57, 2 June 2015 (UTC)
Mith, we have a problem. There is this random guy going by the name of Webbane who is destroying stuff right now! Bane
- He has deleted off my page, yours, Woolly's, the Forum and a load of paragraphs from articles. Can we remove his account or something??? —Unsigned comment by Arya (talk • contribs).
You aren't blaming Bane though Arya
 Why are you deleting MY images??
Those images that you have deleted are my artwork! Is this vandalism or what???? Woolly Mammoth 14:18, 18 June 2015 (UTC)
- I thought you said that they were all by other people - apologies. Although your picture of Uldor is remarkably similar to one by James Adams (also known as Sporeboy)? --Mith (Talk/Contribs/Edits) 14:22, 18 June 2015 (UTC)
- Maybe because I borrowed the pictures from some of (with permission, which I have sent you by email) those guys, aye? Some of the pictures are by other people, AND some of them are mine (namely Elmo, Bór, Uldor, Formenos!). You are behaving like an asshole and you have no right (beside being an administrator), absolutely no right to delete those images!
- Do not speak to me like that again. As an administrator I have every right to delete any image on this website whether it be yours or anyone else's.
- I will speak as I want to! And, considering your image of Uldor I granted the permission to use my artwork. Woolly Mammoth 14:41, 18 June 2015 (UTC)
- Fun fact: did you know there's only ever been one other user in Tolkien Gateway's 10-year history to use the phrase "but seriously"? --Mith (Talk/Contribs/Edits) 08:53, 22 June 2015 (UTC)
- You did not answer my question. Maedhros95 09:13, 22 June 2015 (UTC)
- "But seriously"? I reckon you must have spent years searching through every word and sentence on this page to come to that conclusion. And besides, what does that have to do with me? Maedhros95 09:33, 22 June 2015 (UTC)
- First of all: how did you even come to the conclusion that I'm an alter ego of some other user? I have just signed up and I am already being accused of being a "sockpuppet" for some guy that I have never heard of until now. Maedhros95 10:01, 22 June 2015 (UTC)
- There are quite a number of signs; we'll be checking IPs later today. If you aren't WM I do sincerely apologise as this probably makes me look like a bit of a nutter; but if you are WM I have to admit that I am actually a bit impressed by your commitment to Tolkien Gateway that you have created a sockpuppet in order to carry on doing good work. --Mith (Talk/Contribs/Edits) 10:21, 22 June 2015 (UTC)
- Have you heard the "Burial Song of Théoden" by Tolkien Ensemble? I think the visitors of this site should be entitled to hear this masterpiece (in my opinion). In any case...I will contact the Tolkien Ensemble myself. Maedhros95 09:56, 23 June 2015 (UTC)
- And yes...one more thing...What about this WM thing you were talking about? Maedhros95 09:57, 23 June 2015 (UTC)
- You would have to discuss this with other users (and admins) of this site first before initiating contact with them and seeking to put their songs this website. I personally don't think it would be appropriate for TG to host songs that people should be paying for. --Mith (Talk/Contribs/Edits) 10:03, 23 June 2015 (UTC)
- You did not answer my question! What about this WM thing I am accused!? I find myself insulted for, coinsidentally , wanting to expand this wiki as much as it is possible. And for your information, I am an editor on Wikipedia. And I am not talking about paying anything. Maedhros95 10:12, 23 June 2015 (UTC)
I have hi-res scans of The History of Middle-earth on my computer. And I have seen before that pagination can be a sort of a mess, when multiple versions of the same book collide together. Maedhros95 13:38, 23 June 2015 (UTC)
- The pagination for The History of Middle-earth series is pretty much consistent (which is why we reference pages for those when we don't for The Lord of the Rings). How long did it take you to scan them? What is the edition of your hardcopy? --Mith (Talk/Contribs/Edits) 13:40, 23 June 2015 (UTC)
Sale of this book without a front cover may be unauthorized. If this book is coverless, it may have been reported to the publisher as “unsold or destroyed” and neither the author nor the publisher may have received payment for it.
A Del Rey® Book Published by The Ballantine Publishing Group
Copyright © 1983 by Frank Richard Williamson and Christopher Reuel Tolkien as Executors of the Estate of J. R. R. Tolkien
All rights reserved under International and Pan-American Copyright Conventions.
Published in the United States by The Ballantine Publishing Group, a division of Random House, Inc., New York.
Del Rey and colophon are registered trademarks of Random House, Inc.www.delreydigital.com
Library of Congress Catalog Card Number: 83-12782
First published in the United States by Houghton Mifflin Company.
Reprinted by special arrangement with Houghton Mifflin Company.
Manufactured in the United States of America
First Ballantine Books Edition: June 1992
OPM 32 31 30 29 28 27 26 Maedhros95 13:55, 23 June 2015 (UTC)
Hey, I noticed while skipping through pages that the picture for the page The Road Goes Ever On and On: The Maps of Tolkien's Middle Earth has nothing to do with the theme of the page as far as I can see. Yes, it's a picture of a book of maps, but it's not a picture of the book of maps we are talking about. I am still an utter newbie with this programing, and have no idea how to change the picture to a more accurate one. Arya