This article or section needs to be cleaned up to conform to a higher standard of article quality.
- "Lost and forgotten be, darker than the darkness,
Where gates stand forever shut, till the World is mended"
- ― Tom Bombadil, The Fellowship of the Ring, "Fog on the Barrow-downs"
The Outer Void, or the Timeless Void, was a term used in various ways.
Cosmologically, the Void are the uninhabited regions of (non)existence outside Time and Creation, the absence of the Flame Imperishable, as it is told that Melkor used to wander in the Void to look in vain for the Flame Imperishable.
After his defeat in the War of Wrath, Morgoth was cast out into the Timeless Void "through the Door of Night beyond the Walls of the World", but legends predict that he will return to the World and cause its End. The Void thus in that context refers to the vast distant empty spaces of Eä. This was often confused by Elves and Men with the Void that existed before the creation of Eä.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 J.R.R. Tolkien, Christopher Tolkien (ed.), The Silmarillion, "Ainulindalë: The Music of the Ainur"
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, Christopher Tolkien (ed.), The Silmarillion, "Quenta Silmarillion: Of the Voyage of Eärendil and the War of Wrath"
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, Christopher Tolkien (ed.), Morgoth's Ring, "Part Five. Myths Transformed", "[Text] VII"
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, Christopher Tolkien (ed.), The Silmarillion, "Valaquenta: Of the Enemies"
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings, The Two Towers, "The White Rider"
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, "Addenda and Corrigenda to the Etymologies — Part Two" (edited by Carl F. Hostetter and Patrick H. Wynne), in Vinyar Tengwar, Number 46, July 2004, p. 8
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, Christopher Tolkien (ed.), The History of Middle-earth Index, p. 31
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, Christopher Tolkien (ed.), The Lost Road and Other Writings, Part Three: "The Etymologies", p. 379
|Constellations||Anarríma · Durin's Crown · Menelmacar · Remmirath · Soronúmë · Telumendil · Valacirca · Wilwarin|
|Stars||Alcarinquë · Borgil · Carnil · Elemmírë · Helluin · Luinil · Lumbar · Morwinyon · Nénar · Star of Eärendil · Til|
|The Airs||Aiwenórë · Fanyamar · Ilmen · Menel · Vaiya · Veil of Arda · Vista|
|Narsilion||Arien · Moon (Isil, Ithil, Rána) · Sun (Anar, Anor, Vása) · Tilion|
|See also||Abyss · Arda · Circles of the World · Eä · Timeless Halls · Two Lamps · Two Trees · Void|