Battles of Beleriand
|Previous war: Battle of the Powers|
|Next war: War of the Elves and Sauron|
|Wars of Beleriand|
|Beginning: Y.T. 1497||End: F.A. 587|
|Place: Throughout Beleriand and the lands northward|
|Outcome: Decisive victory for the Valar, expulsion of Morgoth from Arda|
|Major battles: First Battle of Beleriand, Dagor-nuin-Giliath, Battle of the Lammoth, Dagor Aglareb, Dagor Bragollach, Nirnaeth Arnoediad, Fall of the Falas, War of Wrath|
|Host of the Valar, Noldor, Sindar, Dwarves of the Blue Mountains, and Edain||Hosts of Angband|
|* Eönwë||Morgoth |
The Wars of Beleriand or Battles of Beleriand, also known as the War of the Jewels (as the Silmarilli led to most of them) were a series of conflicts in the centuries leading up to the end of the First Age. The conflict was between the forces of Morgoth and the Elves of Beleriand, with their Edain (and sometimes Dwarf) allies.
From his mighty fortress of Angband, Morgoth used this base from which to launch his attacks on the peoples of Beleriand. While the Noldor had some victories, the Doom of Mandos always hung over their efforts. Many Men fell in these battles on both sides, and for a long time after the Elves had scorn for the Houses who supported Morgoth.
 Significant Battles
The following are the major battles in this long, extended conflict.
- The First Battle of Beleriand was fought before the Noldor arrived, and was fought by the Sindar, Laiquendi, and Dwarves of the Blue Mountains.
- The Second Battle was the Dagor-nuin-Giliath, or Battle-under-Stars, fought by the Noldor following Fëanor and his Seven Sons.
- The Third Battle was the Dagor Aglareb, or Glorious Battle, which led to the Siege of Angband.
- The Fourth Battle was the disastrous Dagor Bragollach, or Battle of Sudden Flame, in which Ard-galen burned and many Noldor, including King Fingolfin, were slain.
- The Fifth Battle was the Nirnaeth Arnoediad or Battle of Unnumbered Tears, in which the Union of Maedhros was utterly broken by Morgoth.
- The Fall of the Falas, in which the havens of Brithombar and Eglarest were sacked and fell, took place after the Nírnaeth.
- The Sack of Bar-en-Danwedh, in which the Gaurwaith were destroyed and Dor-Cúarthol lost.
- The Battle of Tumhalad, followed by the Sack of Nargothrond, where the city was destroyed by Glaurung and his Orcs.
- The Fall of Gondolin, in which Morgoth's hosts besieged and destroyed the Noldor and their citadel of Gondolin, killing King Turgon.
- The Sixth and Last Battle of Beleriand was the War of Wrath, which defeated Morgoth, ended the First Age of Arda and destroyed most of Beleriand.
 See also
There were other parallel conflicts where Morgoth was not involved, but were directly or indirectly connected to the main War, and the Silmarilli.
- The Kinslayings, three conflicts caused by the House of Feanor against other Elves to claim the Silmarilli.
- A brief conflict involving the Dwarves coveting the Nauglamir.
|Wars of Beleriand|
|First Battle · Dagor-nuin-Giliath · Dagor Aglareb · Dagor Bragollach · Nirnaeth Arnoediad · War of Wrath|
<ref>tags exist, but no
<references/>tag was found