West-gate of Bree
|West-gate of Bree|
|Location||On the west side of Bree|
|Appearance||Facing a deep dike, within a thick hedge|
The West-gate of Bree was the portal into Bree on the west side of the settlement.
The village of Bree was guarded from outsiders by a deep ditch and a hedge. The great East Road passed through this hedge on its western side, and exited again in the southern corner where the hedge and dike met the sides of the Bree-hill. At both of these points stood a gate that was closed and guarded after nightfall. The gate that looked towards the Shire, the West-gate, was guarded by one Harry Goatleaf during the War of the Ring, though he later joined with Bill Ferny and the followers of Saruman. Since it is mentioned that the gate clanged when shut it apparently was made of metal.
Frodo, Merry, Pippin, and Sam arrived at the West-gate on 29 September T.A. 3019 well after dark. Harry Goatleaf was sitting in a lodge beyond the gate but when the hobbits arrived he jumped up, fetched a lantern, and looked over the gate. He questioned the travelers before allowing them entry. After the hobbits left a dark figure climbed over the gate without Harry being aware of his entry.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings, The Fellowship of the Ring, "At the Sign of the Prancing Pony"
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings, The Return of the King, "Homeward Bound"
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings, Appendix B, "The Great Years"
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings, The Fellowship of the Ring, "Strider"
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings, Appendix D, "The Shire Calendar"
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings, Appendix B, "The Chief Days from the Fall of Barad-dûr to the End of the Third Age"