From Tolkien Gateway
balan (pl. belain) means "Vala, divine power, divinity" in Exilic Noldorin.
Balan was also the original name of Bëor.
Etymology[edit | edit source]
- Root BAL In The Silmarillion, balrog is glossed as Sindarin "Demon of Might", indicating the contracted form bal-.
Examples[edit | edit source]
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 J.R.R. Tolkien, Christopher Tolkien (ed.), The Lost Road and Other Writings, Part Three: "The Etymologies", p. 350
- ↑ Hiswelókë's Sindarin Dictionary (accessed 11 February 2010)
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, Christopher Tolkien (ed.), The Silmarillion, "Quenta Silmarillion: Of the Coming of Men into the West"
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, Christopher Tolkien (ed.), The Silmarillion, "Index of Names"