|"Bert" by Liz Danforth|
|Death||T.A. 2941 |
|Notable for||Capturing Thorin and Company|
|Gallery||Images of Bert|
Bert was, with Tom and Bill, one of the three trolls that captured Bilbo Baggins and the Dwarves during their eastward journey. During the fight with Thorin II Oakenshield, Bert received the end of a flaming stick in his eye. Tricked by Gandalf, he was turned to stone by the light of the Sun.
Portrayal in adaptations
|Bert in adaptations|
- The Trolls are encountered in the second episode, "Out of the Frying-pan into the Fire". Brian Haines plays Bert, Victor Lucas Bill, and Francis de Wolff Tom. The scene is taken verbatim from the book.
- The troll's scene is adapted without alterations. No actors are credited for the individual parts of the three trolls.
- The three trolls are the first obstacle encountered after leaving Bag End.
1982-97: Middle-earth Role Playing:
- Bert is a member of the Hugath tribe of Stone Trolls of the Trollshaw. In Hobbit lore he is known as "Bert Huggins", while his real name is Bûrat, also known as "Bûrat the Tongue".
- The voices of William, Bert and Tom are provided by Peter Debnár, Vlado Černý and Ivan Gogál.
1995-8: Middle-earth Collectible Card Game:
- Bert is playable both as a Hazard Creature and as a Minion. The troll is also given the MERP variant name, Bûrat.
2003: The Hobbit (2003 video game):
- Bert, Bill and Tom are the first bosses of the game, though they cannot be fought. Bilbo has to sneak around the Trolls, waiting for them to turn or walk away.
2007: The Lord of the Rings Online:
- Bert, Tom and Bill, turned to stone, can be found in the wilderness of the Trollshaws.
- Bert is portrayed (through motion capture) by Mark Hadlow. He is depicted as the trio's cook, and serves up grog for his companions when Bilbo is sneaking up on the Trolls.