|"Bottle" by Lída Holubová|
|Location||Elvenking's Halls, Woodland Realm|
|Affiliation||Elves of Mirkwood|
|Gallery||Images of Galion|
Galion was a Wood-elf who served as the king's butler in Thranduil's halls in the Woodland Realm of northeastern Mirkwood.
Galion served King Thranduil (and presumably also Thranduil's son Legolas). One evening in T.A. 2941 Galion and the chief of the guards decided to taste some new wine that had recently arrived to "see if it is fit for the king's table". The heady vintage from Dorwinion soon put the two Elves asleep, which gave Bilbo Baggins his chance to free Thorin and the other Dwarves (who had been imprisoned in Thranduil's dungeons during the Quest of Erebor). Using the chief guard's keys and his Magic Ring, Bilbo freed the Dwarves and secreted them into several empty barrels. When other Elves arrived to push the barrels in they found Galion and woke him up. When the workers noted the heaviness of some of the "empty" barrels, Galion growled at them and ordered them to push the barrels into the water.
The name Galion is said to be not Sindarin, although perhaps "'Sindarized' in shape".[note 1]
Portrayal in adaptations
|Galion in adaptations|
1968: The Hobbit (1968 radio series):
- Peter Baldwin provided the voice of Galion.
1980: Der Hobbit (1980 German radio series):
- Galion is played by Heinz Theo Branding.
1982: The Hobbit (1982 video game):
- The game features an NPC simply known as "Butler" that appears in the Elvenking's halls, where he empties wine barrels to send back down the river, but he will throw the party members in the dungeons if he spots them. It is also possible for him to be killed, either by the player or one of their companions.
2003: The Hobbit (2003 video game):
- This video game depicts only Galion, and not the Captain of the Guard. The butler does not succumb to drunkenness, but because Bilbo puts three herbs - Moonleaf, Willowweed and Spider's Bane - in his mug. This change was possibly made to ensure a more favourable game rating.
2013: The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug:
- Galion is portrayed by Craig Hall. He is briefly seen by Bilbo (while he's wearing the One Ring) in the cellars of the Elvenking's Halls praising the selections of wine. He invites Elros to drink with him, and they both end up passing out, allowing Bilbo and the Dwarves to escape through the cellars.
2017: The Lord of the Rings Online:
- Galion can be found in King Thranduil's halls of Felegoth.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 J.R.R. Tolkien, The Hobbit, "Barrels Out of Bond"
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings, Appendix B, "The Third Age"
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, "Words, Phrases and Passages in Various Tongues in The Lord of the Rings", in Parma Eldalamberon XVII (edited by Christopher Gilson), p. 54