Hans-Jörg Modlmayr (b. 6 March 1940) is a German author and broadcaster. He studied history and English at Peterhouse College in Cambridge. After his degree he taught German at Gonville & Caius College and in the German Department of Cambridge University.
While studying at Cambridge, Modlmayr became acquainted with the works of J.R.R. Tolkien in 1964. On 27 July 1966, Modlmayr and J.S. Ryan visited J.R.R. Tolkien without being invited. Nevertheless, Tolkien spent some time talking with them and showing them translations of his works.
- 1983: Deutsches Allgemeines Sonntagsblatt (1983, No. 36)
- "Die ahnungsvollen Tintenklekser. J.R.R. Tolkien – dem Autor des 'Herrn der Ringe' und des 'Hobbits' - zum 10. Todestag am 2. September" (a memorial publication on the 10th anniversary of J.R.R. Tolkien's death)
- 1992: Inklings: Jahrbuch für Literatur und Ästhetik, Vol. 10 (Kranz, Gisbert, ed.). Germany: Stier.
- "Fantasy Makes Strange Bedfellows: Mein Besuch bei Tolkien und die Folgen" (pp. 275-282; from the proceedings of Das Internationale Tolkien-Symposion, Aachen 7-9 January 1992)
- "Hans Jörg Modlmayr", Lexikon Westfälischer Autorinnen und Autoren (accessed 2 June 2012)
- "Sculptor George Kennethson remembered in centenary donation to University Library" dated 23 June 2010, Cambridge University Library (accessed 6 June 2012)
- "Die neue Übersetzung. Radiointerview: WDR 5. Wolfgang Krege und Hans-Jörg Modelmayr", Tolkiengesellschaft.de (accessed 2 June 2012)
- Christina Scull and Wayne G. Hammond (2006), The J.R.R. Tolkien Companion and Guide: I. Chronology, p. 670
- "Tolkien letter in Berlin auction", Tolkien Collector's Guide (accessed 1 June 2012)