|Slogan||le Dragon de Brume|
("The Dragon of Mist")
|Type||Scholarly articles, essays and dictionary; e-zine|
|Language||French (main website);|
English, French and German (dictionary)
Hiswelókë (Quenya for "Dragon of Mist"), was a French-language website founded in 1997 by Didier Willis seeking to popularise scholarship of the works of J.R.R. Tolkien through French-language articles and essays.
In the early 1990s, Hisweloce (sic) initially debuted as an internal newsletter to the "chair of geography" of the French organization "la Fée", sent by regular mail to interested members. There were six short irregular issues printed between 1992 and 1994.
In 1997, the author's personal site, hosted on Geocities, included, besides personal fiction, a "Tolkien's corner" section, which later evolved into Hiswelókë. In the earlier days of the website, most articles and essays were originally collected into four editions of an e-zine. In 2002, the website joined JRRVF and, hosted as a "wing" of this website, continued activities until around 2008, with articles available online independently. Aside from personal fiction, the website included articles on botany, linguistics, geography, mythology, onomastics (the study of names) and reviews of other pieces of scholarly work.
In 2010, "Le Dragon de Brume" was transformed into a non-profit organization, mostly focused on publishing collections of essays. The old website being definitely abandoned, some of its remaining contents were gradually transferred to Tolkiendil. The pages on JRRVF are scheduled to be closed in 2021, excepted the Sindarin dictionary project (which will remain on JRRVF).
Specifically, from October 23, 1999 the project has included Hiswelókë's Sindarin dictionary which aims to create a complete Sindarin dictionary - including annotations and relevant amendments - aimed at satisfying the requirements of both serious scholars and casual fans.
Aside from online wordlists, the project also included a downloadable XML lexicon, and the (now obsolete) Dragon Flame and Hesperides freeware applications.
- Homepage (French)
- Hiswelókë's Sindarin dictionary (English)
- ↑ Tolkien Activities in France and S. Gary Hunnewell collection at Marquette (reel 8 folder 23).
- ↑ Hiswelókë, "Téléchargements" (accessed January 7, 2011)
- ↑ Le Dragon de Brume, non-profit organization under the terms of French 1901 act (accessed April, 2021)
- ↑ Hiswelókë on Tolkiendil (accessed April, 2021)
- ↑ Hiswelókë's Sindarin dictionary, "News" (accessed January 7, 2011)
- ↑ Hiswelókë's Sindarin dictionary, "About" (accessed January 7, 2011)
- ↑ A Sindarin and Noldorin dictionnary in XML (TEI format)