|"Queen Indis" by Shyangell|
|Other names||The Fair|
|Titles||Queen of the Noldor|
|House||House of Ingwë|
|Children||Findis, Fingolfin, Írimë and Finarfin|
|Gallery||Images of Indis|
After dying, Míriel Þerindë refused to be reinbodied or healed, leaving her husband Finwë in an unfair widowhood.
[Indis] had loved Finwë in her heart, ever since the days when the Vanyar and the Ñoldor lived close together. In one of his wanderings Finwë met her again upon the inner slopes of Oiolossë, [...] and her face was lit by the golden light of Laurelin that was shining in the plain of Ezellohar below. In that hour Finwë perceived in her eyes the love that had before been hidden from him. So it came to pass that Finwë and Indis desired to be wedded.:334
With the Statute of Finwë and Míriel, Manwë allowed Finwë to take a second wife and Indis thus became the stepmother to Fëanor. With Indis, Finwë had two more sons, Fingolfin and Finarfin, and two daughters, Findis and Írimë. Fëanor observed the influence of Indis on Finwë, including his speech which started to resemble that of the Vanyar and considered it a disrespect against his mother.:336
 Other versions of the legendarium
In earlier versions, Indis was the close kin, likely sister, of Ingwë, and she also had one more daughter called Faniel.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 J.R.R. Tolkien, Christopher Tolkien (ed.), The Silmarillion, "Quenta Silmarillion: Of Fëanor and the Unchaining of Melkor"
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 J.R.R. Tolkien, Christopher Tolkien (ed.), The Peoples of Middle-earth, "XI. The Shibboleth of Fëanor", "The names of Finwë's descendants", p. 343
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 J.R.R. Tolkien, Christopher Tolkien (ed.), The Peoples of Middle-earth, "XI. The Shibboleth of Fëanor", "The case of the Quenya change of Þ to s"
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, Christopher Tolkien (ed.), The Lost Road and Other Writings, Part Three: "The Etymologies", entries "NDIS", "NETH"
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, Christopher Tolkien (ed.), Morgoth's Ring, "Part Three. The Later Quenta Silmarillion: (II) The Second Phase: The Earliest Version of the Story of Finwë and Míriel", p. 207