Letter to Liège University (9 September 1954)
From Tolkien Gateway
- Subject:The letter concerns the festivities of Tolkien's reception of an honorary doctorate at the University of Liège on October 2nd, 1954 (he was suggested as a candidate by Simonne d'Ardenne).
- Publication: The letter was reprinted in full in the article "Tolkien and Belgium" by Johan Vanhecke, published in Lembas Extra: Proceedings of the 5th Unquendor Lustrum.
- Archive: The letter is kept at the University Archives in Liège.
Excerpt[edit | edit source]
- "I also have very great pleasure in accepting to lunch on after the ceremony; but I much regret that my wife will, for reasons of health, be unable to accompany me on this occasion."
- ― J.R.R. Tolkien (in Lembas Extra: Proceedings of the 5th Unquendor Lustrum, p.56)
See also[edit | edit source]