This article or section needs expansion and/or modification. Please help the wiki by expanding it.
Namárië, also called Galadriel's Lament, Altariello nainië Lóriendessë (Quenya for "Galadriel's lament in Lórien"), and sometimes Song of the Elves Beyond the Sea, is the longest Quenya text in The Lord of the Rings.
Ai! laurië lantar lassi súrinen,
yéni únótimë ve rámar aldaron!
Yéni ve lintë yuldar avánier
mi oromardi lisse-miruvóreva
Andúnë pella, Vardo tellumar
nu luini yassen tintilar i eleni
Sí man i yulma nin enquantuva?
An sí Tintallë Varda Oiolossëo
ve fanyar máryat Elentári ortanë,
ar ilyë tier undulávë lumbulë;
ar sindanóriello caita mornië
i falmalinnar imbë met, ar hísië
untúpa Calaciryo míri oialë.
Sí vanwa ná, Rómello vanwa, Valimar!
Namárië! Nai hiruvalyë Valimar.
Nai elyë hiruva. Namárië!
Ah! like gold fall the leaves in the wind,
long years numberless as the wings of trees!
The years have passed like swift draughts
of the sweet mead in lofty halls beyond the West,
beneath the blue vaults of Varda
wherein the stars tremble in the song of her voice, holy and queenly.
Who now shall refill the cup for me?
For now the Kindler, Varda, the Queen of the Stars,
from Mount Everwhite has uplifted her hands like clouds,
and all paths are drowned deep in shadow;
and out of a grey country darkness
lies on the foaming waves between us,
and mist covers the jewels of Calacirya for ever.
Now lost, lost to those from the East is Valimar!
Farewell! Maybe thou shalt find Valimar.
Maybe even thou shalt find it. Farewell!
Portrayal in adaptations
- Galadriel (portrayed by Soňa Norisová) sings the song in the sixth and final episode of the first series (season), based on The Fellowship of the Ring.
- J.R.R. Tolkien, Donald Swann, The Road Goes Ever On
- Galadriel's Song of Eldamar
- Poems in The Lord of the Rings
- Word by word analysis by Ardalambion
- “Quenya inscription: Sí man i·yulmar men enquantuva?”: Lambengolmor message #11.34 (Beregond, Anders Stenström) and message #11.35 (Carl F. Hostetter). The original appeared in catalogue of Bloomsbury auctions's 30th Anniversary Sale, p. 159
- J.R.R. Tolkien, "Notes and Translations", in The Road Goes Ever On (J.R.R. Tolkien, Donald Swann)
- J.R.R. Tolkien, "Words, Phrases and Passages in Various Tongues in The Lord of the Rings", in Parma Eldalamberon XVII (edited by Christopher Gilson), pp. 58, 74
- Helge Fauskanger, "Quettaparma Quenyallo" at Ardalambion