History[edit | edit source]
The Osgiliath-stone stood in Osgiliath, the ancient capital of Gondor. For 1,500 years or more, it was held beneath the Dome of Stars that gave the city its name. While most of the palantíri were small and portable, the Stone of Osgiliath was much larger, and could not be lifted by a Man. It was the only palantír that could be used to secretly listen to communications between the users of two other palantíri.
The greatest of the Seeing-stones was also the first to be lost. After the death of King Valacar a civil war known as the Kin-strife started between rebels led by Castamir and forces loyal to the new King Eldacar in T.A. 1409. During this civil war in T.A. 1432, the city of Osgiliath was besieged and burned by the rebels, the Tower of the Dome of Osgiliath was destroyed and the Stone was lost in the waters of the River Anduin.
|Stones of Arnor||† Annúminas-stone (Annúminas) · Elostirion-stone (Elostirion - Valinor) · † Amon Sûl-stone (Amon Sûl - Fornost)|
|Stones of Gondor||† Osgiliath-stone (Osgiliath) · † Ithil-stone (Minas Ithil - Barad-dûr) · Anor-stone (Minas Tirith) · Orthanc-stone (Orthanc - Minas Tirith)|
|Other||Master-stone (Tower of Avallonë)|
- J.R.R. Tolkien, Christopher Tolkien (ed.), Unfinished Tales, "The Palantíri", "only the surveyor using the Master Stone of Osgiliath could ‘eavesdrop’"
- J.R.R. Tolkien, Christopher Tolkien (ed.), Unfinished Tales, "The Palantíri"
- J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings, Appendix B, "The Third Age", entry for the year 1409, p. 1086
- J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings, Appendix B, "The Third Age", entry for the year 1432, p. 1086
- J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings, Appendix A, "The Númenorean Kings", "Gondor and the Heirs of Anárion", entry for King Valacar and for King Eldacar, p. 1046