|"Shagrat" by John Howe|
|Location||Tower of Cirith Ungol|
|Death||17 March T.A. 3019 |
|Notable for||Capturing Frodo|
|Gallery||Images of Shagrat|
During a patrol to Shelob's Lair, Shagrat's company encountered a troop of Orcs from Minas Morgul led by Gorbag. The two did not get along, but before things escalated, they noted something out of place: a strange small creature, all wound up in Shelob's webs. The discovery of what appeared to be an undersized Elf led the two commanders to compare their notes; they concluded that there must have been another nearby. But they could not find this "great Elf warrior".
Turmoil rose again amongst the group when Gorbag and Shagrat disagreed with what they had to do with the prisoner. Shagrat's orders from above were simple: all personal effects were to be sent to Barad-dûr. Shagrat did not trust many of his own troops, and none of Gorbag's, so he locked up the prisoner in the top chamber of the Tower of Cirith Ungol.
Gorbag coveted the mithril coat Frodo wore and attempted to usurp Shagrat's rule, but lost to Shagrat's superior numbers. Soon, Gorbag's faction was pressed back. Shagrat eventually killed Gorbag and ran off to Sauron with the prisoner's belongings. He reached Barad-dûr three days later, on 17 March. After Shagrat brought him the news and items, Sauron slew him.
Portrayal in adaptations
- Chris Fairbank played Shagrat. He is overheard by Sam discussing Shelob with Gorbag, and then Sam encounters him again on the stairs in the Tower of Cirith Ungol.
- Shagrat is simply referred to in-game as a "large angry Orc". He is carrying a long red knife and a black bundle. He can be killed by Sam.
- Peter Tait played Shagrat. In this adaptation, it is Shagrat and not Gorbag who covets the mithril shirt and starts the fight. In the Extended Edition, he is shown escaping with the mithril shirt, which is then presented later by the Mouth of Sauron to the Captains of the West. It is unclear if this means Shagrat had changed his mind and brought the shirt to Barad-dûr, or if he was waylaid by Orcs loyal to Sauron during his escape, and the shirt was confiscated.
2020: The Lord of the Rings Online:
- Abscent from the main storyline, Shagrat only makes a brief cameo appearance in a scene depicting how Gollum was released from Barad-dûr.
- J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings, The Two Towers, "The Choices of Master Samwise", pp. 735-742
- J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings, The Return of the King, "The Tower of Cirith Ungol", pp. 905-907
- J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings, Appendix B, "The Great Years", p. 1094
- J.R.R. Tolkien, "Time-scheme for The Lord of the Rings" (Marquette MSS 4/2/18) in Wayne G. Hammond and Christina Scull (eds), The Lord of the Rings: A Reader's Companion, "The Land of Shadow", p. 608