The Tale of Gondolin
|The Tale of Gondolin|
|Author||J.R.R. Tolkien, Alex Lewis (editor)|
|Publisher||privately printed and bound in Great Britian|
|Released||1987 (first edition)|
The Tale of Gondolin is an attempt by Alex Lewis to compile the unfinished tales of Turgon and Gondolin by J.R.R. Tolkien into a single publication (in a manner similar to The Children of Húrin). The story draws upon texts from The Silmarillion, Unfinished Tales: "Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin", and The Book of Lost Tales Part Two.
The publication was limited to 50 copies worldwide and the suggested value for a single copy is well over $1,000.
- Preface to second edition
- Preface: Page 1
- Introduction to illustrated and illuminated edition: Page 4
- 1. The Road to Gondolin: Page 7
- 2. The Dark Nephew: Page 20
- 3. The Fourth and Fifth Battles: Page 37
- 4. Of Tuor and his Journeys: Page 57
- 5. The Dark Road: Page 89
- 6. The City of Stone and Song: Page 109
- 7. The Gathering Storm: Page 140
- 8. Of the end of Song: Page 165
- 9 The Road to the Sea: Page 204
- Index of illustrations by Ruth Lacon
 First Edition
 First State
By the end of 1995, 28 out of the 50 copies had been sold though they were not sold in sequential order. The "Number One" was donated to Priscilla Tolkien. These 28 are known as the First State.
 Second State
In late 2003 or early 2004 a US book collector found out from Alex Lewis that the remaining 22 copies had not been sold and were still unbound. He chose to buy the 22 copies and had them bound by another binder in Manchester as the original binder had unfortunately passed away. These 22 newly bound copies were finished in 2004 and are known as the Second State.
 See also
- ↑ Hobbit.ca: "The Tale of Gondolin", as of April 14, 2010
- ↑ "A note from Ruth Lacon" in ADC Art & Books: catalogue 2009/10, p.30.