Tolkien Studies: Volume 19
From Tolkien Gateway
|Tolkien Studies: Volume 19|
|Editor||David Bratman, Michael D.C. Drout, Verlyn Flieger|
|Publisher||West Virginia University Press|
|Released||"later in 2023"|
Tolkien Studies: Volume 19 is the upcoming nineteenth volume of the annual review Tolkien Studies. This issue was delayed due to the preparation of the Supplement, but it was always intended to be a full 2022 issue.
- Verlyn Flieger, "In Memoriam: Priscilla Tolkien, 1929-2022"
- Nathan Kowalsky, "The Hobbit and the Hermeneutics of the Barnyard"
- Perry Neil Harrison, "Tolkien, the Medieval Robin Hood, and the Matter of the Greenwood"
- J.M. Silk, "A Faërie Ring: Poetry and the Metaphor of Music as Devices of Enchantment in Tolkien's Fiction"
- Vincent E. Rone, "The Musical Continuity between Howard Shore and J.R.R. Tolkien"
- Paul Acker, "A Rabble of Uninvited Dwarves"
- Riley McGuire, "The Place of Allegory in Tolkien's Understanding of the Old English Exodus"
- Christopher Crane, "Early Drafts and Carbon Copies: Composing and Editing Smith of Wootton Major"
- Ewan Cameron, "Tolkien, Thompson, English Modernity, and the Left"
- John Rosegrant, "When the Search for Enchantment is Bent: 'The Scouring of the Shire'"
- Book Reviews
- The Nature of Middle-earth, by J.R.R. Tolkien, edited by Carl F. Hostetter, reviewed by John Garth
- Tolkien and the Classical World, edited by Hamish Williams, and Tolkien and the Classics, edited by Roberto Arduini, Giampaolo Canzonieri, and Claudio A. Testi, reviewed by Victor Parker
- Musical Scores and the Eternal Present: Theology, Time, and Tolkien, by Chiara Bertoglio, reviewed by Eileen Marie Moore
- A Sense of Tales Untold: Exploring the Edges of Tolkien's Literary Canvas, by Peter Grybauskas, reviewed by Maria K. Alberto
- Middle-earth, or There and Back Again, edited by Łukasz Neubauer, reviewed by Merlin DeTardo
- Book Notes: J.R.R. Tolkien: The Art of the Manuscript, by William M. Fliss and Sarah C. Schaefer, and The Great Tales Never End: Essays in Memory of Christopher Tolkien, edited by Richard Ovenden and Catherine McIlwaine, notes by David Bratman
- David Bratman, Kate Neville, Jennifer Rogers, Jonathan Evans, Robin Anne Reid, John Wm. Houghton, and John Magoun, "The Year's Work in Tolkien Studies 2019"
- David Bratman, "Bibliography (in English) for 2020"
- Tolkien Studies 19: an announcement on David's blog
|Tolkien Studies volumes|
|Volume 1 · Volume 2 · Volume 3 · Volume 4 · Volume 5 · Volume 6 · Volume 7 · Volume 8 ·|
Volume 9 · Volume 10 · Volume 11 · Volume 12 · Volume 13 · Volume 14 · Volume 15 · Volume 16 ·
Volume 17 · Volume 18 · Volume 19 (Supplement)