Tolman Cotton Junior
|Tolman Cotton, Jr|
|Tolman Cotton, Jr from The Lord of the Rings: Aragorn's Quest|
|Other names||Tom, Young Tom|
|Birth||S.R. 1380 |
|Parentage||Farmer Cotton and Lily Brown|
|Siblings||Rose, Jolly, Nick and Nibs|
|Gallery||Images of Tolman Cotton, Jr|
Tolman "Tom" Cotton, Jr was the eldest son of Farmer Cotton.
When Tom was young, he was known as "Young Tom" to distinguish him from his father with whom they had the same name. Father and son fought in the Battle of Bywater. After the War of the Ring, he married Sam Gamgee's youngest sister, Marigold.
Tolman comes from Old English tōl + mann meaning "tool person". In early phases of writing Appendix F, his father's original Westron name was given as Tomacca Lothran or (earlier) Tomakli Lothron.
Portrayal in adaptations
- Tom is the deputy-mayor.
- J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings, The Return of the King, "The Scouring of the Shire"
- J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings, Appendix C, "The Longfather-tree of Master Samwise"
- J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings, Appendix B, "Later Events Concerning the Members of the Fellowship of the Ring"
- Jim Allan (1978), An Introduction to Elvish, "Giving of Names" p. 194
- J.R.R. Tolkien, Christopher Tolkien (ed.), The Peoples of Middle-earth, "II. The Appendix on Languages"
- J.R.R. Tolkien, Christopher Tolkien (ed.), The Peoples of Middle-earth, "II. The Appendix on Languages", note 37.