From Tolkien Gateway
Events that occurred on 6 April.
- 1963 - J.R.R. Tolkien writes a letter to a couple he met on holiday.
- 1992 - Author and polemic Isaac Asimov dies.
- T.A. 2510:
- Eorl the Young sets out with the Éothéod towards Calenardhon.
- T.A. 2941:
- Gandalf visits Bag End but Bilbo Baggins is missing. He talks with Holman Greenhand and realises Bilbo is the right person for the Quest for Erebor (date approximate).[note 1]
- T.A. 2980:
- Samwise Gamgee is born.
- T.A. 3019:
- New Year of the Elves.
- Meeting of Celeborn and Thranduil in Eryn Lasgalen. The southern portion is given to Lothlórien, and its middle portion to the Northmen.
- Frodo and Sam, rescued out of the fire, rest in Ithilien.
- T.A. 3020:
- The mallorn tree planted by Samwise Gamgee in the Party Field begins to flower.
- ↑ This event took place on or after the New Year of the Elves (Yestarë), but a specific date was not given; although an annotation in this chapter quotes Appendix D which states that Yestarë in the Calendar of Imladris "corresponded more or less with Shire April 6".
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, Christopher Tolkien (ed.), Unfinished Tales, "The Quest of Erebor"
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings, Appendix B, "The Chief Days from the Fall of Barad-dûr to the End of the Third Age"