|"Elanor" by Gregor Roffalski|
|Location||Bag End, Hobbiton|
|Birth||25 March T.A. 3021 |
|Death||After Fo.A. 61 |
|Parentage||Samwise Gamgee and Rose Cotton|
|Siblings||Frodo, Rose, Merry, Pippin, Goldilocks, Hamfast, Daisy, Primrose, Bilbo, Ruby, Robin and Tom|
|Spouse||Fastred of Greenholm|
|Children||Elfstan and Fíriel|
|Gallery||Images of Elanor Gardner|
Called "The Fair" for her golden hair, she was born 25 March 1421 by Shire Reckoning (which was T.A. 3021), which was at the same time the first day of the Fourth Age in Gondor. Elanor was also the only one of Samwise's children known to the Ringbearer, Frodo Baggins, and her name was a suggestion by him.
In S.R. 1436 Elanor became a maid of honor to Queen Arwen Evenstar, and in S.R. 1442 she rode to Gondor with her parents and stayed there for a year. In 1451 she married Fastred of Greenholm. Four years later, Fastred was named Warden of Westmarch by the Thain at the request of Samwise, and the couple moved to the Undertowers on the Tower Hills.
She last saw her father in 1482 when he came to the Tower Hills, passing to her the Red Book. so Elanor and her line became the keepers of the Red Book of Westmarch, and handed down the tradition that Sam passed to the Undying Lands.
The name is a reference to the sun-star, a little golden flower blooming in the land of Lothlórien — this perfectly satisfied Sam's desire for a name that was both Elvish and yet at the same time a simple flower-name as many hobbit-lasses had.
 Other versions of the legendarium
Besides her presence as an infant in the last chapter of the published The Lord of the Rings, and the details noted in the appendices of that book, Elanor's most significant role was in the two versions of the written but unpublished epilogue of The Lord of the Rings. In that epilogue Elanor talks with her father about the importance of the events that transpired in the story and also about the coming of King Elessar and Queen Arwen for a visit. Elanor's affectionate name for her father is "Sam-dad", while Sam calls her "Elanorellë".
 Portrayal in adaptations
- Elanor can be heard crying as Frodo (Ian Holm) tells Sam (Bill Nighy) that he must go on with his life. The crying is actually by Holm's son, Harry.
- Elanor is available as a second player, playing Gandalf to Frodo's Aragorn. She wears a wizard's hat and a stick to serve as staff.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 J.R.R. Tolkien, Christopher Tolkien (ed.), Sauron Defeated, "Part One: The End of the Third Age: XI. The Epilogue"
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings, Appendix B, "The Chief Days from the Fall of Barad-dûr to the End of the Third Age"
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings, The Return of the King, "The Grey Havens"
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 4.3 J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings, Appendix B, "Later Events Concerning the Members of the Fellowship of the Ring"
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, The Adventures of Tom Bombadil, "Preface", note 2