The Dragon's Visit
When submitting a number of poems for The Adventures of Tom Bombadil in 1962, "The Dragon's Visit" was included but was eventually omitted from the collection. Douglas A. Anderson has suggested that Tolkien perhaps thought the poem unsuitable within the legendarium: It mentions a fire brigade set against a dragon.
- Christina Scull and Wayne G. Hammond (2006), The J.R.R. Tolkien Companion and Guide: II. Reader's Guide, p. 214
- J.R.R. Tolkien; Douglas A. Anderson, (ed.), (2002) The Annotated Hobbit: Revised and Expanded Edition, p. 309-11
- J.R.R. Tolkien; Christina Scull & Wayne G. Hammond (eds), The Adventures of Tom Bombadil, "Introduction"
- John D. Rateliff, Review of Tales Before Narnia, Mythlore 107/108
- John D. Rateliff, "The New Arrival: WINTER'S TALES FOR CHILDREN" dated 13 July 2009, Sacnoth's Scriptorium blog (accessed 27 February 2012)