Letter to Madam Ossendrijver (5 January 1961)
- Subject: Tolkien writes about the Dutch translation of The Lord of the Rings, and replies to a question about the etymology of the name Númenor, among other things.
- Description: Handwritten letter.
- Publication: A large excerpt from the letter was published as Letter 227 in The Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien.
"Númenor, shortened form of Númenórë, is my own invention, compounded from nūme-n "going down" (√ndū, nū), sunset, West, and nōre "land, country" = Westernesse"
- ↑ "J.R.R Tolkien, Rare hand-written letter by Tolkien (eBay item number: 231077543050)" , eBay (accessed 21 October 2013)
- ↑ Carl F. Hostetter, "Holograph MS of Letter 227, correcting published etymology of "Númenor" (#1144)" dated 15 December 2013, Lambengolmor mailing list (accessed 15 December 2013)