|Birth||S.R. 1385 |
|Death||After S.R. 1419[note 1] |
|Parentage||Odovacar Bolger and Rosamunda Took|
|Children||At least one son|
Estella Brandybuck, née Bolger, was a Hobbit of the Shire.
Estella was the second child of Odovacar Bolger and Rosamunda Took. She was present at Bilbo's Farewell Party.
Her older brother, Fredegar, was well acquainted with Meriadoc Brandybuck, and Estella eventually married him after the War of the Ring.
Jim Allan has suggested that Estella is related to the Spanish Estrella, derived from the Latin stella, both meaning "star".
Other versions of the legendarium
Tolkien added Estella to the family trees in Appendix C in the mid-1960s during the revisions that led to the second edition of The Lord of the Rings. For unclear reasons she did not initially appear in the hardcover edition, but only in the mass-market paperback edition published by Ballantine Books. Estella was finally added to the hardcover edition after an update to the text in 1987.
- ↑ According to the Appendix B Meriadoc left the Shire for Rohan in S.R. 1484. Presumably Estella had died by then.
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings, Appendix B, "Later Events Concerning the Members of the Fellowship of the Ring"
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings, The Fellowship of the Ring, "The Shadow of the Past"
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings, The Fellowship of the Ring, "A Conspiracy Unmasked"
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings, Appendix C, "Bolger of Budgeford"
- ↑ Jim Allan (1978), An Introduction to Elvish, "Giving of Names", p. 197
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, Christopher Tolkien (ed.), The Peoples of Middle-earth, "III. The Family Trees"
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, Christopher Tolkien (ed.), The Lost Road and Other Writings, "Note on the Text" (by Douglas A. Anderson)