Letter to Liège University (18 October 1954)
From Tolkien Gateway
- Subject:The letter concerns the festivities of Tolkien's reception of an honorary doctorate at the University of Liège on October 2nd, 1954 (he was suggested as a candidate by Simonne d'Ardenne).
- Publication: The letter was reprinted in full in the article "Tolkien and Belgium" by Johan Vanhecke, published in Lembas Extra: Proceedings of the 5th Unquendor Lustrum.
- Archive: The letter is kept at the University Archives in Liège.
- "I returned from Belgium to considerate pressure of business, and have been obliged to come to Ireland on academic affairs."
- ― J.R.R. Tolkien (in Lembas Extra: Proceedings of the 5th Unquendor Lustrum, p.57)