Letter to Michael George Tolkien (16 September 1965)
- Subject(s): Ace Books, personal life.
- Publication: Hammond and Scull published a description of the letter in their The J.R.R. Tolkien Companion and Guide: Chronology (p. 644). Quotes from the letter have appeared in Michael Tolkien's transcript of his lecture delivered at the University of St Andrews (section 14).
- Archive: British Library, MS Add. 71657.
"I am, of course, deeply interested in all that you tell me of your work and tastes. I might (it may be thought) have given you more help and advice especially in parts of your work where I have any special knowledge. But I have been under much pressure while you have been at St Andrews ... (this refers especially to the battle over the PIRATE edition of The Lord of the Rings in U.S.A. by ACE Books) If you lived nearby, in an hour I could do what would take days to do less satisfactorily in writing. But in any case I have a strong feeling that you should not be influenced in growth of taste and discovery of aptitudes by opinions possibly weighted by family loyalty and affection; while in the end you will get more credit for your own industry and talents if you do not show much evidence of being under my shadow..."
- Letter to Michael George Tolkien (24 April 1957)
- Letter to Michael George Tolkien (10 January 1958)
- Letter to Michael George Tolkien (6 January 1965)
- Letter to Michael George Tolkien (30 October 1965)
- Letter to Michael George Tolkien (29 July 1966)
- Letter to Michael George Tolkien (7 January 1970)
- Letter to Michael George Tolkien (30 January 1972)
- Christina Scull and Wayne G. Hammond (2006), The J.R.R. Tolkien Companion and Guide: I. Chronology, p. 644
- Michael George Tolkien, "Lecture on J.R.R. Tolkien given to the University of St. Andrews Science Fiction and Fantasy Society on 2nd May, 1989", MichaelTolkien.com (accessed 30 December 2011)
- Wayne G. Hammond and Christina Scull, "Addenda and Corrigenda to The J.R.R. Tolkien Companion and Guide (2006) Vol. 1: Chronology · Arranged by Date", Hammond&Scull.com (accessed 30 December 2011)