Letter to Mr Burrows
From Tolkien Gateway
On 1 August 1969, J.R.R. Tolkien wrote a letter to Mr Burrows.
- Subject: Tolkien discusses the signing of a copy of The Hobbit, his change of address and recent health issues.
- Description: Autograph letter, 1 page.
- Publication: A description and photograph of the letter was included in Bloomsbury Modern First Editions, Manuscripts and Autograph Letters, English and Continental Literature and History 24 May 2007.
Contents[edit | edit source]
Dear Mr Burrows,
Thank you for kind & appreciative letter. I return your 'Hobbit' cover signed.
You have not discovered my address: I left Oxford a year ago. I now live in 'retirement' —in an endeavour to preserve some time free from interruptions. All letters will be forwarded from the
abovebelow address. I have been unwell during July and this added to the forwarding by the P.Office must be my excuse for delay. Best wishes. Yours sincerely
- ↑ Wayne G. Hammond & Christina Scull, "Addenda and Corrigenda to The J.R.R. Tolkien Companion and Guide: Chronology" at HammondandScull.com (accessed 29 November 2011)
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Lot 495 at Bloomsburyauctions.com (accessed 29 November 2011)
- ↑ Modern First Editions. 2007 at TolkienBooks.net (accessed 29 November 2011)