Letter to Robert Burchfield (11 June 1972)
- Subject: Apologies for not having returned a book (Kentish Place-names by J.K. Wallenberg, 1931) which Tolkien had borrowed.
- Description: Signed letter, written from Merton College.
My dear Burchfield
In unpacking my books from shore[note 1] I discovered this book which belongs to you. You lent it me a long while ago - but as I was in hospital at the time of my reward from Oxford[note 2]I was not guilty of removing it to Poole, though guilty (with more excuse) for not returning it later. Forgive me.
- Probably Bournemouth, from which he moved in March 1972
- An honorary doctorate
- Christina Scull, Wayne G. Hammond, "Addenda and Corrigenda to The J.R.R. Tolkien Companion and Guide (2006) Vol. 1: Chronology", Hammond&Scull.com (accessed 21 May 2012)
- "Autograph letters signed by J.R.R. Tolkien and C.S. Lewis", The Manhattan Rare Book Company (accessed 21 May 2012)