Scholarship and Fantasy
From Tolkien Gateway
|Scholarship and Fantasy: Proceedings of the Tolkien Phenomenon, Turku, May 1992|
|Author||Keith Battarbee (ed)|
|Publisher||Department of English, University of Turku|
Contributors and contents
- Keith Battarbee
- "Speculative Fiction and Ideology"
- Luigi de Anna
- "The Magic of Words: J.R.R. Tolkien and Finland"
- Helena Rautala
- "Familiarity and Distance: Quenya's Relation to Finnish"
- Christina Scull
- "The Influence of Archaeology and History on Tolkien's Middle-earth"
- Anders Stenström
- "Some Notes on Giants in Tolkien's Writings"
- Andy Orchard
- "Tolkien, the Monsters, and the Critics: Back to Beowulf"
- Verlyn Flieger
- "The Green Man, the Green Knight, and Treebeard: Scholarship and Invention in Tolkien's Fiction"
- Fredrik Heinemann
- "Tolkien and Old Icelandic Literature"
- Paul Bibire
- "Sægde seþe cuþe: J.R.R. Tolkien as an Anglo-Saxonist"
- "By Stock or by Stone: Recurrent Imagery and Narrative Pattern in The Hobbit"
- Colin Duriez
- "Sub-creation and Tolkien's Theology of Story"
- Clive Tolley
- "Tolkien and the Unfinished"
- David Llewellyn Dodds
- "Technology and Sub-creation: Tolkien's Alternative to the Dominant Worldview"
- Vappu Viemerö
- "Violence and Fantasy"
- Tom A Shippey
- "Tolkien as a Post-War Writer"