From Tolkien Gateway
Events that occurred on 2 January
- 1917 - J.R.R. Tolkien writes a letter to the War Office.
- 1929 - J.R.R. Tolkien writes a letter to E.V. Gordon.
- 1941 - J.R.R. Tolkien writes Letter 41.
- 1965 - The thirteenth episode of the Princess-serialization of The Hobbit is published.
- 1967 - J.R.R. Tolkien writes a letter to Otto B. Lindhardt.
- 1967 - J.R.R. Tolkien writes a letter to Peyton Moss.
- 1969 - J.R.R. Tolkien writes Letter 308.
- 1969 - J.R.R. Tolkien writes Letter 309.
- 1972 – In honour of his 80th birthday the following day, The Sunday Times Magazine runs an interview of William Cater with J.R.R. Tolkien, "The Lord of the Legends".
- 2004 - The Art of The Return of the King is published.
- 2004 - The Lord of the Rings Complete Visual Companion is published.
- Conclusion of the six-day Yuletide festival in the Shire Calendar.
- T.A. 3019:
- The Fellowship of the Ring travels south along the Misty Mountains.