It is said that the Eldar used the word Airë as a title of address to the Valar and greater Maiar. An example is Varda, who was addressed as Airë Tári, the "holy queen" (see also airetári in Galadriel's Lament).
- Airefëa = "Holy Spirit"
- Airë Tári = "Holy Queen"
- Anairë = "Holiest"
- na airë esselya = "hallowed be thy name"
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 J.R.R. Tolkien, Christopher Tolkien (ed.), The Peoples of Middle-earth, "XI. The Shibboleth of Fëanor", pp. 363-364, note 45
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 J.R.R. Tolkien, "Words, Phrases and Passages in Various Tongues in The Lord of the Rings", in Parma Eldalamberon XVII (edited by Christopher Gilson), p. 67
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 J.R.R. Tolkien, "Words, Phrases and Passages in Various Tongues in The Lord of the Rings: Eldarin Roots and Stems", in Parma Eldalamberon XVII (edited by Christopher Gilson), p. 149
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, Donald Swann, The Road Goes Ever On, "Namárië (Farewell)", line 7