Category talk:The Lord of the Rings Online characters
This could be renamed Category:Characters in The Lord of the Rings Online in the same line as others found at Category:Characters by appearance. --Pinkkeith 16:05, 7 April 2009 (UTC)
I know we don't have a policy on notoriety, as such, but does each of these characters need an individual article (rather than one article detailing them all). I know next to nothing about LOTRO, but is there much more information that could be added on each of these? --Mith (Talk/Contribs/Edits) 11:22, 11 September 2010 (UTC)
- Amroth is the expert on LOTRO, I don't know how much these articles could be expanded. I guess this brings up the question of how far we want to be like a LOTRO Wiki. I think we should have articles on LOTRO, but it needs to be more structured at least. Notoriety is certain a possibility for a shake up of the organisation of our LOTRO articles. -- KingAragorn talk contribs edits email 11:27, 12 September 2010 (UTC)
- Sorry, I didn't see your message till now. I myself think we need them as their own articles. Some articles could be expanded much (examples: Atli Spider-bane, Éogan, etc.) and others not like Godwig the Lazy.
- About how far we want to go as a LOTRO wiki.
- I wanted to make articles for the NPCs and locations, and especially their part in the story and not with items they sell. So I won't make the 20.000 different items (except Narchuil, Zirakzigal and maybe a general page about Legendary Weapons), the 10.000 different quests, the 10.000 Skirmishes (except a general page) or the 100 different mounts (maybe except the Mines of Moria Nimble Goat). We deffiantly won't be the same as the LOTRO wiki or the Lorebook because these only give the coordinates (with some exceptions). Ours give their backstory too.
- You can compare our Dirk Mudbrick article with theirs: LOTRO Wiki and LOTRO Lorebook --Amroth
- I've started many of the articles about NPCs found just in LOTRO. I've only be keeping them to NPCs that play a role in the epic story line and keeping more lore centric then an explanation of game mechanics (i.e. what they sell, what quests they give, etc.). My hope has been to try to make these articles describe how the lore of LOTRO relates to the lore of Tolkien's works. --Pinkkeith
- The problem for me on this is, as KingAragorn points out, the rest of us aren't really informed enough on LOTRO to make the appropriate sort of judgements on the importance of these articles. In all honesty, the importance of these characters is residual to the fact that some of these articles visually look rather silly: having a two-line description and then a large image seems somewhat... contradictory, oxymoronic.
- Amroth and Pinkkeith, how many NPCs and locations are there?
- Perhaps, we need a scaled down "LOTRO Character Infobox" for this purpose..? --Mith (Talk/Contribs/Edits) 17:23, 12 September 2010 (UTC)
- I read somewhere there are more NPCs in Lotro than there are characters in Lotr... don't know if that's true, but if it is, I'd rather not see all of them in a separate article. I think a list is better for the smaller characters like suppliers, and major characters can have their own page. -- Ederchil (Talk/Contribs/Edits) 17:39, 12 September 2010 (UTC)
- I've realy no idea how many characters there are in LOTRO (neither have an idea how many LOTRO itself has). --Amroth
- I think importance really is a judgement call. How important are the characters contained in the books compared to the person that created them. Or even compared to the state of the global economy. That is a bit "out there", but you get my point.
- I already mentioned the ones that I think should be mentioned. The characters that the player comes into contact through the epic story line should only be mentioned. I think if we include every NPC, not only will the wiki become heavily a LOTRO lore information site, but the amount of work to do it would be overwhelming.
- I do like the idea of a LOTRO Character Infobox. --Pinkkeith
To return to this, 10 years later: I am a big fan of the game and would like to see all its lore and characters catalogued somewhere. But there were too many characters to list even 10 years ago and the game has expanded greatly since then. I think we could trim these down a lot, then add lists or maybe even a few individual articles for important/recurring characters. -Sullathron(Talk)(Edits) 09:43, 3 May 2020 (UTC)