Galdor (elf of the Havens)
|"Galdor" by Stephen Schwartz|
|Gallery||Images of Galdor|
During the War of the Ring he was sent in an errand to Elrond in Rivendell. He was present in the Council of Elrond representing Círdan. He asked about proofs that the ring of the halfling was indeed the Great Ring, and also inquired why Saruman was not with them. It was Gandalf who answered his questions, narrating his story on how he discovered the One Ring, and Saruman's treachery.
Then, he agreed with Gandalf that not even the Sea could hide the Ring for ever. Galdor expected that the Ringwraiths (who were recently defeated in Bruinen) would soon return and Gondor could not stop Sauron from coming all the way to Lindon and reach the Sea. These were the last comments before Elrond decided that the only option is to destroy the Ring in Mount Doom.
Other versions of the legendarium
In late writings, Tolkien speculated that this Galdor and the Galdor of The Fall of Gondolin may have been the same, but he ultimately rejected the notion: if Galdor had remained behind, he would either have completely rejected the call of the Valar, and thus have Fallen, or he would have had to leave and then return like Glorfindel did, which would make him a far more powerful person than his appearance in The Lord of the Rings suggests. For this reason Tolkien speculated that "Galdor" was simply a common Sindarin name.
Portrayal in adaptations
|Galdor in adaptations|
2001-2007: The Lord of the Rings Trading Card Game:
- A Decipher card identifies one of the Elves at the Council of Elrond in The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring as Galdor. He was played by Nathan Clark.
2007: The Lord of the Rings Online:
- First met in Rivendell around the time of the Council of Elrond, Galdor player a rather minor role in the game. During the War of the Ring he travels south and in March of 3019 can be found in Edhellond near Belfalas on an errand about which he would not elaborate.
- J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings, The Fellowship of the Ring, "The Council of Elrond"
- J.R.R. Tolkien, Christopher Tolkien (ed.), The Peoples of Middle-earth, "XIII. Last Writings", Glorfindel, pp. 387-388, note 1
- J.R.R. Tolkien, Christopher Tolkien (ed.), The Peoples of Middle-earth, "XIII. Last Writings", Glorfindel, p. 388, note 3
|Attendees of the Council of Elrond|
|Aragorn · Bilbo Baggins · Frodo Baggins · Boromir · Elrond · Erestor · Galdor · (Samwise Gamgee) · Gandalf · Gimli · Glóin · Glorfindel · Legolas|