J.R.R. Tolkien: Scholar and Storyteller
From Tolkien Gateway
|J.R.R. Tolkien, Scholar and Storyteller: Essays in Memoriam|
|Author||Edited by Mary Salu and Robert T. Farrell|
|Publisher||Ithaca/London: Cornell University Press|
|Released||31 March 1979|
|Format||Hardback in dust-jacket|
J.R.R. Tolkien, Scholar and Storyteller: Essays in Memoriam is an anthology that was published as a tribute to J.R.R. Tolkien - both an academic and as an author. 1,560 copies were printed.
It includes Tolkien's Valedictory Address to the University of Oxford (pp.16-32). Also includes:
- Professor J.R.R. Tolkien: Creator of Hobbits and inventor of a new mythology - Tolkien's obituary notice, as printed in The Times, 3 September 1973.
- The Man and the Scholar - A reminiscence by S.T.R.O. d'Ardenne.
- Handlist of the Published Writings of J.R.R. Tolkien - Compiled by Humphrey Carpenter.
- PART ONE
- "Professor J.R.R. Tolkien" (from The Times)
- "Valedictory Address to the University of Oxford" by J.R.R. Tolkien
- "The Man and the Scholar" by S.T.R.O. d'Ardenne
- PART TWO
- "Beowulf Lines 3074- 3075" by A.J. Bliss
- "Lazamon's English Sources" by P.J. Frankis
- "God, Death, and Loyalty in The Battle of Maldon" by Fred C. Robinson
- "Geoweorpa: 'Once Held in High Esteem'" by E.G. Stanley
- "Narrative Insight in Laxdaela Saga" by Ursula Dronke
- "Nosce te ipsum: Some Medieval Interpretations" by J.A.W. Bennett
- "Chaucer's Man of Law and His Tale: The Eccentric Design" by Robert T. Farrell
- "Chaucer and 'Pite'" by Douglas Gray
- "Make Believe: Chaucer's Rationale of Storytelling in The House of Fame" by Geoffrey T. Shepherd
- "Moral Chaucer and Kindly Gower" by Rosemary Woolf
- PART THREE
- "The Lord of the Rings as Romance" by Derek S. Brewer
- "The Gospel of Middle Earth According to J.R.R. Tolkien" by William Dowie
- "Creation from Philology in The Lord of the Rings" by T.A. Shippey
- "Handlist of the Published Writings of J.R.R. Tolkien" by Humphrey Carpenter