Marjorie J. Burns
Her Ph.D. is from UC Berkeley and focuses on the nineteenth-century British novel. She has been on the faculty of Portland State University for over thirty years, where she teaches courses on nineteenth-century British literature, J.R.R. Tolkien, and Norse and Celtic mythology, and more. She has lectured on Tolkien throughout the United States, as well as Australia, Norway, England, and The Netherlands.
- 2006: Perilous Realms: Celtic And Norse in Tolkien's Middle-earth
- 2006: J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: Scholarship and Critical Assessment (associate editor with Douglas A. Anderson, Verlyn Flieger, and Tom Shippey)
Articles and Chapters
- 1988: Mythlore: A Journal of J.R.R. Tolkien, C.S. Lewis, and Charles Williams, Number 53, Vol. 14, no. 3, spring 1988
- "The Anonymous Fairy Tale: Ruskin's The King of the Golden River" (pp.38-42)
- 1989: Mythlore: A Journal of J.R.R. Tolkien, C.S. Lewis, and Charles Williams, Number 58, Vol. 15, no. 4, summer 1989
- "J.R.R. Tolkien and the Journey North" (pp.5-9)
- 1990: Pacific Coast Philology, Vol. XXV, No. 1-2, Nov. 1990
- "J.R.R. Tolkien: The British and Norse in Tension" (pp.49-59)
- 1991: Studies in Medievalism, Vol. III, no. 3-4, winter, spring 1991
- "Echos of William Morris' Icelandic Journals in J.R.R. Tolkien" (pp.367-373)
- 1995: Proceedings of the J.R.R. Tolkien Centenary Conference
- "Eating, Devouring, Sacrifice and Ultimate Just Desserts" (pp.108-114)
- 1998: Between Faith and Fiction: Tolkien and the Powers of His World
- "All in One, One in All," (pp.2-15)
- 1998: Proceedings of Unquendor's Third Lustrum Conference
- "Spiders and Evil Red Eyes" (pp.40-54)
- 2000: Tolkien's Legendarium: Essays on The History of Middle-earth
- "Gandalf and Odin" (pp.219-31)
- 2002: 2001: A Tolkien Odyssey
- "Bridges, Gates, and Doors" (pp.77-104)
- 2004: Tolkien and the Invention of Myth
- "Norse and Christian Gods: The Integrative Theology of J.R.R. Tolkien" (pp.163-78)
- 2006: J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: Scholarship and Critical Assessment
- "Old Norse Literature"
- "Tour in the Alps, 1911"
- 2006: The Lord of the Rings 1954-2004
- "King and Hobbit: The Exalted and Lowly in Tolkien's Created Worlds" (pp.139-51)
- 2007: Tolkien Studies: Volume 4
- "Tracking the Elusive Hobbit (In Its Pre-Shire Den)" (pp.200-211)
- 2008: The Ring Goes Ever On: Proceedings of the Tolkien 2005 Conference
- "Containment and Progression in J.R.R. Tolkien's World"
- 2011: The Ring and the Cross
- "Saintly and Distant Mothers"
- 2014: Tolkien in the New Century: Essays in Honor of Tom Shippey
- "Night-wolves, Half-trolls and the Dead Who Won't Stay Down"