Tolkien Studies: Volume 4
From Tolkien Gateway
|Tolkien Studies: Volume 4|
|Editor||Douglas A. Anderson, Michael D.C. Drout, Verlyn Flieger|
|Publisher||West Virginia University|
|Released||Printed: April, 2007|
Digital: May, 2007
Tolkien Studies: Volume 4, published in 2007, is the fourth volume of the annual review Tolkien Studies.
This issue reprints J.R.R. Tolkien's essay "The Name 'Nodens'", first published in 1932.
Thomas Honegger's article includes extracts from unpublished drafts of The Homecoming of Beorhtnoth.
The front cover reproduces Tolkien's handwritten notes about Ae Adar Nín on the back of a postcard.
- Carl F. Hostetter, "Tolkienian Linguistics: The First Fifty Years"
- Douglas A. Anderson, "Carl F. Hostetter: A Checklist"
- Dimitra Fimi, "Tolkien's 'Celtic type of legends': Merging Traditions"
- Miryam Libran Moreno, "Greek and Latin Amatory Motifs in Éowyn's Portrayal"
- Verlyn Flieger, "The Curious Incident of the Dream at the Barrow: Memory and Reincarnation in Middle-earth"
- Michael D.C. Drout, "J.R.R. Tolkien's Medieval Scholarship and its Significance"
- Notes and Documents
- J.R.R. Tolkien, "The Name 'Nodens'"
- Janet Brennan Croft, "Walter E. Haigh, Author of A New Glossary of the Huddersfield Dialect"
- Thomas Honegger, "The Homecoming of Beorhtnoth: Philology and the Literary Muse"
- Marjorie Burns, "Tracking the Elusive Hobbit (In Its Pre-Shire Den)"
- Yvette L. Kisor, "'Elves (and Hobbits) always refer to the Sun as She': Some Notes on a Note in Tolkien's The Lord of the Rings"
- Kristine Larsen, "SAURON, Mount Doom, and Elvish Moths: The Influence of Tolkien on Modern Science"
- Book Reviews
- The Company They Keep: C. S. Lewis and J.R R. Tolkien as Writers in Community, by Diana Pavlac Glyer, reviewed by Dale Nelson
- Ents, Elves, and Eriador: The Environmental Vision of J.R.R. Tolkien, by Matthew Dickerson and Jonathan Evans, reviewed by Patrick Curry
- From Hobbits to Hollywood: Essays on Peter Jackson's "Lord of the Rings", edited by Ernest Mathijs and Murray Pomerance, and The Lord of the Rings: Popular Culture in Global Context, edited by Ernest Mathijs, reviewed by Kristin Thompson
- The J.R.R. Tolkien Companion and Guide, Volume I: Chronology, and Volume II: Reader's Guide, by Christina Scull and Wayne G. Hammond, reviewed by John Garth
- J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: Scholarship and Critical Assessment, edited by Michael D. C. Drout, reviewed by Kelley M. Wickham-Crowley
- The Keys of Middle-earth: Discovering Medieval Literature through the Fiction of J.R.R. Tolkien, by Stuart D. Lee and Elizabeth Solopova, reviewed by John R. Holmes
- The Lord of the Rings 1954-2004: Scholarship in Honor of Richard E. Blackwelder, edited by Wayne G. Hammond and Christina Scull, reviewed by Brian Rosebury
- The Philosophy of Tolkien: The Worldview behind "The Lord of the Rings", by Peter J. Kreeft, reviewed by Matthew A. Fisher
- The Plants of Middle-earth: Botany and Sub-creation, by Dinah Hazell, reviewed by Amy Amendt-Raduege
- The Power of the Ring: The Spiritual Vision Behind the Lord of the Rings, by Stratford Caldecott, reviewed by Mike Foster
- Reading "The Lord of the Rings": New Writings on Tolkien's Classic, edited by Robert Eaglestone, reviewed by Patrick Curry
- The Ring of Words: Tolkien and the Oxford English Dictionary, by Peter Gilliver, Jeremy Marshall, and Edmund Weiner, reviewed by Douglas A. Anderson
- The Rise of Tolkienian Fantasy, by Jared Lobdell, reviewed by Matthew T. Dickerson
- The Roots of Tolkien's Middle Earth, by Robert S. Blackham, reviewed by Tom Shippey
- A Tolkien Mathomium: A Collection of Articles about J.R.R. Tolkien and His Legendarium, by Mark T. Hooker, reviewed by Sandra Ballif Straubhaar
- Tolkien's Modern Middle Ages, edited by Jane Chance and Alfred K. Siewers, reviewed by Robin Anne Reid
- David Bratman, "The Year's Work in Tolkien Studies 2004"
- Michael D.C. Drout, Rebecca Epstein, and Kathryn Paar, "Bibliography (in English) for 2005"
- Tolkien Studies: Volume 4 at Project Muse
- ↑ "Tolkien Studies IV. 2007", TolkienBooks.net (accessed 1 January 2012)
|Tolkien Studies volumes|
|Volume 1 · Volume 2 · Volume 3 · Volume 4 · Volume 5 · Volume 6 · Volume 7 · Volume 8 ·|
Volume 9 · Volume 10 · Volume 11 · Volume 12 · Volume 13 · Volume 14 · Volume 15 · Volume 16 ·
Volume 17 · Volume 18 · Volume 19 (Supplement)