Tolkien Studies: Volume 14
|Tolkien Studies: Volume 14|
|Editor||David Bratman, Michael D.C. Drout, Verlyn Flieger|
|Publisher||West Virginia University Press|
Tolkien Studies: Volume 14 is the fourteenth volume of the annual review Tolkien Studies.
The article by H.L. Spencer includes previously unpublished lecture notes by J.R.R. Tolkien concerning Israel Gollancz and E.V. Gordon (see note 27, p. 28). The article by Paul Tankard includes previously unpublished quotations from letters and a note by Tolkien.
- H.L. Spencer: "The Mystical Philosophy of J.R.R. Tolkien and Sir Israel Gollancz: Monsters and Critics"
- Christopher Gilson: "His Breath Was Taken Away: Tolkien, Barfield, and Elvish Diction"
- Kathy Cawsey: "Could Gollum Be Singing a Sonnet? The Poetic Project of The Lord of the Rings"
- Eleanor R. Simpson: "The Evolution of J.R.R. Tolkien's Portrayal of Nature: Foreshadowing Anti-speciesism"
- Leonard Neidorf: "J.R.R. Tolkien's The Fall of Arthur: Creation from Literary Criticism"
- Jeffrey J. MacLeod, Anna Smol: "Visualizing the Word: Tolkien as Artist and Writer"
- Paul Tankard: "'Akin to my own inspiration': Mary Fairburn and the Art of Middle-earth"
- Notes and Documents
- J.M. Silk: "A Note on the Sindarin Translation of the Name Daisy"
- Giovanni Costabile: "Stolen Pears, Unripe Apples: The Misuse of Fruits as a Symbol of Original Sin in Tolkien's "The New Shadow" and Augustine of Hippo's Confessions"
- Book Reviews
- Arden R. Smith: "A Secret Vice: Tolkien on Invented Languages by J.R.R. Tolkien"
- Dimitra Fimi: "The Lay of Aotrou and Itroun by J.R.R. Tolkien, and: The Lay of Aotrou and Itroun (Serbian) by J.R.R. Tolkien"
- Nelson Goering: "The Feanorian Alphabet, Part 1; Quenya Verb Structure by J.R.R. Tolkien" (Parma Eldalamberon 22)
- David Bratman: "Laughter in Middle-earth: Humour in and around the Works of J.R.R. Tolkien eds. Thomas Honegger and Maureen F. Mann"
- Diana Pavlac Glyer: "Approaches to Teaching Tolkien's The Lord of the Rings and Other Works ed. by Leslie A. Donovan"
- "The Year’s Work in Tolkien Studies 2014", by David Bratman, Edith L. Crowe, Jason Fisher, John Wm. Houghton, John Magoun, Robin Anne Reid
- "Bibliography (In English) for 2015", by David Bratman
- Tolkien Studies: Volume 14 at Project Muse
|Tolkien Studies volumes|
|Volume 1 · Volume 2 · Volume 3 · Volume 4 · Volume 5 · Volume 6 · Volume 7 · Volume 8 ·|
Volume 9 · Volume 10 · Volume 11 · Volume 12 · Volume 13 · Volume 14 · Volume 15 · Volume 16 ·
Volume 17 · Volume 18 · Volume 19 (Supplement)