Tolkien Studies: Volume 14
From Tolkien Gateway
|Tolkien Studies: Volume 14|
|Editor||David Bratman, Michael D.C. Drout, Verlyn Flieger|
|Publisher||West Virginia University Press|
H.L. Spencer's article includes unpublished lecture notes by J.R.R. Tolkien concerning Israel Gollancz and E.V. Gordon (see note 27, p. 28).
Paul Tankard's article includes unpublished quotations from letters and a note by Tolkien.
Contents[edit | edit source]
- H.L. Spencer, "The Mystical Philosophy of J.R.R. Tolkien and Sir Israel Gollancz: Monsters and Critics"
- Christopher Gilson, "His Breath Was Taken Away: Tolkien, Barfield, and Elvish Diction"
- Kathy Cawsey, "Could Gollum Be Singing a Sonnet? The Poetic Project of The Lord of the Rings"
- Eleanor R. Simpson, "The Evolution of J.R.R. Tolkien's Portrayal of Nature: Foreshadowing Anti-speciesism"
- Leonard Neidorf, "J.R.R. Tolkien's The Fall of Arthur: Creation from Literary Criticism"
- Jeffrey J. MacLeod and Anna Smol, "Visualizing the Word: Tolkien as Artist and Writer"
- Notes and Documents
- Paul Tankard, "'Akin to my own inspiration': Mary Fairburn and the Art of Middle-earth"
- J. Silk, "A Note on the Sindarin Translation of the Name Daisy"
- Giovanni Costabile, "Stolen Pears, Unripe Apples: The Misuse of Fruits as a Symbol of Original Sin in Tolkien's The New Shadow and Augustine of Hippo's Confessions"
- Book Reviews
- A Secret Vice: Tolkien on Invented Languages, by J.R.R. Tolkien, edited by Dimitra Fimi and Andrew Higgins, reviewed by Arden R. Smith
- The Lay of Aotrou and Itroun, by J.R.R. Tolkien, edited by Verlyn Flieger, and The Lay of Aotrou and Itroun, by J.R.R. Tolkien, edited by Aleksandar Mikić with the assistance of Elizabeth Currie, reviewed by Dimitra Fimi
- The Feanorian Alphabet, Part 1; Quenya Verb Structure (Parma Eldalamberon 22), by J.R.R. Tolkien, edited by Christopher Gilson and Arden R. Smith, reviewed by Nelson Goering
- Approaches to Teaching Tolkien's The Lord of the Rings and Other Works, edited by Leslie A. Donovan, reviewed by Diana Pavlac Glyer
- Laughter in Middle-earth: Humour in and around the Works of J.R.R. Tolkien, edited by Thomas Honegger and Maureen F. Mann, reviewed by David Bratman
- David Bratman, Edith L. Crowe, Jason Fisher, John Wm. Houghton, John Magoun, and Robin Anne Reid, "The Year's Work in Tolkien Studies 2014"
- David Bratman, "Bibliography (In English) for 2015"
[edit | edit source]
- Tolkien Studies: Volume 14 at Project Muse
|Tolkien Studies volumes|
|Volume 1 · Volume 2 · Volume 3 · Volume 4 · Volume 5 · Volume 6 · Volume 7 · Volume 8 ·|
Volume 9 · Volume 10 · Volume 11 · Volume 12 · Volume 13 · Volume 14 · Volume 15 · Volume 16 ·
Volume 17 · Volume 18 · Volume 19 (Supplement)