From Tolkien Gateway
This article or section needs expansion and/or modification. Please help the wiki by expanding it.
|Martin John Christopher Freeman|
|Lifetime||September 8, 1971|
|The Hobbit (film series)|
- "Despite the various rumors and speculation surround this role, there has only ever been one Bilbo Baggins for us"
- ― Peter Jackson
Martin John Christopher Freeman portrayed Bilbo Baggins in The Hobbit (film series). The role was previously played by Ian Holm in The Lord of the Rings films.
Casting[edit | edit source]
As far back as 2007 rumors were circulating by fans that Freeman would be an ideal candidate. On October 11, 2010 Freeman confirmed he had to turn down the role due to scheduling conflicts, however he was officially announced for the role on October 21, 2010.
Quotes[edit | edit source]
- "I’ve watched the films again, obviously in more detail before I came to this. I looked at Ian’s (performance) more when I needed to. Again, I don’t really know how much I should say, but there were points where it was relevant for me to look very closely at Ian’s performance."
- ― Martin Freeman, Weintraub
- "I think it definitely has an effect on him. Maybe I shouldn't say how much of it is negative or positive, but it's clear that it has a pull on him, that, I guess would be recognizable from The Lord of the Rings. But it takes a different turn, I guess. I suppose, 'cause The Hobbit anyway, is slightly lighter and it's more of a family affair, so it's not quite as dark. But it doesn't mean the stakes aren't there. It definitely still has to matter that he is in possession of this thing. And I think a lot of the time, even he doesn't realize why he wants to hold onto it so much, but there is an unspoken hold that it has on him, an unconscious hold."
- ― Martin Freeman, Collider
Awards[edit | edit source]
- 2013 - MTV Movie Award, Best Hero, The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey
- 2013 - Empire Award, Best Actor, The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey
Bibliography, selected[edit | edit source]
Articles[edit | edit source]
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Deadline, "Peter Jackson Sets First Names For 'The Hobbit'", 21 October 2010 (accessed 23 October 2010)
- ↑ MTV Movies Blog, "Will Martin Freeman Hitch A Ride To 'The Hobbit'?", 17 September 2007 (accessed 23 October 2010)
- ↑ Empire, "Martin Freeman Talks The Hobbit", 11 October 2010 (accessed 23 October 2010)
- ↑ Wired, "Hobbit Movies Get Their Bilbo: Martin Freeman", 22 October 2010 (accessed 23 October 2010)