Tolkien Gateway:Featured quotes
Featured quotes on Tolkien Gateway are quotes by, or about, J.R.R. Tolkien which the editors of Tolkien Gateway have chosen to feature. The quotes chosen to highlight a particularly of Tolkien's writings, or for their aesthetic or literary merit. Featured quotes are showcased on the Main Page.
- Main article: Tolkien Gateway:Featured quotes/Nominations
Any registered user can nominate an quote for featured status. It should meet these specific criteria:
- Preferably, written/spoken by J.R.R. Tolkien himself, either in his fiction or elsewhere (such as in a letter;
- The quote should be no more than 100 words long, and ideally no shorter than 25 words;
- Quotes should be insightful, witty, interesting, powerful, represent some aspect of a story or character, or generally be of interest to a reader;
- Featured quotes should reflect the full range of Tolkien's writings and not just, for example, The Lord of the Rings.
After nomination, an quote should receive three or more positive votes, with more positive than negative; each user being able to cast one vote. Each entry should begin with Agree, Disagree or Undecided and be signed by the user, and, if they choose, an explanation of their vote.
- Main article: Tolkien Gateway:Featured quotes/Archive
At some point, the featured quotes can be chosen by an administrator due to a lack of sufficient nominations.
- Featured articles, a similar process with articles.