| The name Tom refers to more than one character, item or concept. For a list of other meanings, see Tom (disambiguation).
|Other names||Tom Gardner|
|Location||Bag End, Hobbiton|
|Birth||S.R. 1442 |
Perhaps Gondor[note 1]
|Parentage||Samwise Gamgee and Rose Cotton|
|Siblings||Elanor, Frodo, Rose, Merry, Pippin, Goldilocks, Hamfast, Daisy, Primrose, Bilbo, Ruby and Robin|
Tolman "Tom" Gardner was a Hobbit of the Shire.
Tom was the thirteenth and youngest child of Samwise Gamgee and Rose Cotton, born the same year his parents visited King Elessar in Gondor.[note 1]
He was named after his mother's brother Tolman Cotton.
Tolman comes from Old English tōl + mann meaning "tool person". In early phases of writing Appendix F, it was a translation of original Westron Tomacca or (earlier) Tomakli.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Considering that Rose would not make a journey while Tom was newborn, and that the couple stayed in Gondor for a year, it is most possible that Rose traveled while pregnant to Tom, and that he was born in Gondor.
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings, Appendix B, "Later Events Concerning the Members of the Fellowship of the Ring"
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings, Appendix C, "The Longfather-tree of Master Samwise"
- ↑ , "Giving of Names"
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, Christopher Tolkien (ed.), The Peoples of Middle-earth, "II. The Appendix on Languages"
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, Christopher Tolkien (ed.), The Peoples of Middle-earth, "II. The Appendix on Languages", note 37.