|Other names||Old Toby|
|Position||Cultivator of pipe-weed|
|Birth||Third Age |
|Death||Third Age |
Tobold "Old Toby" Hornblower was a famous Hobbit.
Toby came from Longbottom in the Southfarthing of the Shire. During his time the Shire-hobbits had the tradition of inhaling smoke of herbs, and Toby knew much about herbs; he was not a traveller but in his youth he travelled often to Bree. Merry Brandybuck speculated that it was in one of such travels when he first learned of the pipe-weed which he famously introduced to the Shire around S.R. 1070 (the Bree-hobbits claim to be the first smokers of that herb, which Merry accepts as true).
His name, "Old Toby", was given to his variety of weed.
 Other versions of the legendarium
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings, "Prologue", "Concerning Pipe-weed"
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings, The Two Towers, "The Road to Isengard"
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings, Appendix B, "The Third Age"
- ↑ Wayne G. Hammond and Christina Scull (eds), The Lord of the Rings: A Reader's Companion, p. 31
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, Christopher Tolkien (ed.), The War of the Ring, "Part One: The Fall of Saruman", "III. The Road to Isengard", p. 36
- ↑ Noted by User:Morgan (26 December 2010)
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, Christopher Tolkien (ed.), The Peoples of Middle-earth, "II. The Appendix on Languages"